Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
ISO candystore in Bklyn that takes foodstamps

amother

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 12:58 pm
I know I will be bashed for using foodstamps for a luxury item. Its a long story but I was advised by my Rav to buy a nice candy platter as a gift for someone. Because we normally use foodstamps for real food, I have no clue where to buy this.

Does anyone know of a candy store in Flatbush or Boro Park that takes foodstamps?

gp2.0

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 1:20 pm
Can you buy candy, chocolate and nuts at a regular grocery store and arrange them yourself? Just a thought.

Kaybee

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 2:38 pm
I think sweetness on 54th and new utrecht accepts food stamps, call to double check. They have pretty platters.

minnie mouse

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 2:42 pm
I think candy man on 13th and 47 St.

amother

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 2:45 pm
I'm not bashing but I have a question or two:

1) Your Rav advised you to use your foodstamps to buy a candy platter? or he advised you to buy a candy platter?

2) After buying all your groceries you have left over foodstamps to buy gifts? I don't even have enough food stamp money to buy food I used up my whole months food stamps in one shopping order.

Please explain.

I think I saw a sign in the candy store in williamsburg a few doors down from willhelms takes food stamps. Why don't you look up the phone numbers for the different candy stores and call them to see if they take food stamps?
Brooklyn is big, BP, Flatbush, CH, Williamsburg you need to be more specific.

amother

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 3:14 pm
Does your rav know that you use food stamps to buy food, and apparently don't have the cash to spend on a gift like this? I can't imagine he would have expected you to either take food from your own mouths, or to spend excess money from the government on something like this. Is there really no way you can spend your own money on it, or find another method of expressing your appreciation?

sky

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 3:19 pm
to help against the bashing:
Maybe the platter is to help her get off food stamps - like to get a job. ???? Or to say thank you to a therapist who is helping her get back onto her feet. ???

The idea to buy your own candy and nuts is a good one. You can get a lot more for your money that way. You can go to the dollar store and for 1 dollar buy a pretty glass dish and fill it with the chocolate that you bought.

(I'm not from NY so can't help with stores)

wtvr

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 4:05 pm
KRM sells nice ready made platters

Fabulous

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 4:18 pm
I was just in Yossi's today (on 18th avenue) and saw a sign that you can't use foodstamps for their hot food. I take it to mean that you can use it on other things??

amother

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 4:45 pm
sky wrote:
to help against the bashing:
Maybe the platter is to help her get off food stamps - like to get a job. ???? Or to say thank you to a therapist who is helping her get back onto her feet. ???

The idea to buy your own candy and nuts is a good one. You can get a lot more for your money that way. You can go to the dollar store and for 1 dollar buy a pretty glass dish and fill it with the chocolate that you bought.

(I'm not from NY so can't help with stores)

but no one was bashing?

honeygold

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 4:57 pm
Fabulous wrote:
I was just in Yossi's today (on 18th avenue) and saw a sign that you can't use foodstamps for their hot food. I take it to mean that you can use it on other things??

I have seen people paying for other items with a foodstamp card so I believe they do accept them.

amother

Post Sat, May 19 2012, 10:08 pm
Kaybee wrote:
I think sweetness on 54th and new utrecht accepts food stamps, call to double check. They have pretty platters.
I called them and they take foodstamps! Thank you!

amother

Post Sat, May 19 2012, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not bashing but I have a question or two:

1) Your Rav advised you to use your foodstamps to buy a candy platter? or he advised you to buy a candy platter?
he advised us to buy a candy platter as a gift for someone. He did not tell us how to pay
Quote:

2) After buying all your groceries you have left over foodstamps to buy gifts? I don't even have enough food stamp money to buy food I used up my whole months food stamps in one shopping order.

Please explain.

Yes, we shop frugally and have money left at the end of each month.
Quote:
I think I saw a sign in the candy store in williamsburg a few doors down from willhelms takes food stamps. Why don't you look up the phone numbers for the different candy stores and call them to see if they take food stamps?
Brooklyn is big, BP, Flatbush, CH, Williamsburg you need to be more specific.
Read the opening post again. I did write Boro Park or Flatbush.

amother

Post Sat, May 19 2012, 10:21 pm
amother wrote:
Does your rav know that you use food stamps to buy food, and apparently don't have the cash to spend on a gift like this? I can't imagine he would have expected you to either take food from your own mouths, or to spend excess money from the government on something like this. Is there really no way you can spend your own money on it, or find another method of expressing your appreciation?
The Rav does not know that we have foodstamps. But since we do have leftover $ I would like to spend it on this instead of using cash.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 4:52 pm
why dont you use the "left over money" on an item you can stock up on that you wont have to purchase next month or more pultry for yom tov - all which will be used with the foodstamps you have been given to feed yourselves wholesomely and use money to buy a gift for someone else.

Lady A

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 4:57 pm
I can't imagine a place that can legally take food stamps for candy.
Won't this hurt your family later in the month when those food stamps you used for the candy plate are not around?

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 5:22 pm
If it's against the law to use food stamps for candy, you should probably ask your rav if you're allowed to do this before you do.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 6:03 pm
amother wrote:
If it's against the law to use food stamps for candy, you should probably ask your rav if you're allowed to do this before you do.

if its against the law - why does she need to double check with her rav?
her rav said to buy someone a candy dish.
the govt does not give out $ to buy candy.

Liba

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 6:06 pm
From what I understand there is nothing illegal about buying candy with food stamps. If you have proof to the contrary, bring it. If not, argue that you don't like it, it doesn't feel right, etc, but don't accuse someone of breaking the law unless you know and can prove that they are.

FWIW I am not sure of the legalily of using food stamps to buy something (even something healthy like tofu or whole wheat flour) to give as a gift, but that is seperate from the food stamps for candy debate.

Last edited by Liba on Sun, May 20 2012, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 6:07 pm
it's not against the law to buy candy with food stamps.
You can buy candy with food stamps. You can not buy prepared foods or paper goods etc.

It is against the law to buy gifts for other people with your food stamps though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen