Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Need more ideas for suppers

busydev

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 2:33 pm
I need more ideas for suppers. I would like to draw up a 3 week menu without having the same things every week... which I fee like we are doing now!!! This way I can be more organized and possibly make supper before and not have to figure out what to make before dh leaves for second seder so he can take things out to defrost and then I have to throw it together after I get home around 6.

Dh and I both have things we dont like to eat. We both dont like milchigs much. This includes mac and cheese, lasagna, etc. I dont like potatoes. DH doesnt like broccoli or most green veggies. This includes salads that he calls "wasted space". He also says he no longer likes ground meat anymore except in hamburgers.

Things we usually eat are
shabbos leftovers on sunday night
hot dogs on shopping night (quick and easy)
chicken nuggets
hamburgers
stir fry
grilled chicken (on foreman)

occasionally we have mushroom barely stew with meat.

and we usually have chicken soup available from shabbos for the whole week (dh has most days I dont)

We used to have fish but he decided that a. its expensive and b. its more of a lunch then a supper (I dunno dont ask me!!)
we also used to have chicken but when I got a job where I dont get home until 6 and it takles between 1.5 and 2 hours... we gave it up.... even tho technically dh can set it up in the oven which a start time and an end time so it can be ready when we get home... he never wanted to... and I never got organized enough to prepare the pan the night before. tho I would like to.

So if anyone has any ideas that would give me 3 weeks of more variety I would appreciate it. crock pot recipes would work too.
TIA

There4you

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 3:11 pm
In not too great at suppers myself. I did make a yummy recipe today, Turkey meatloaf.
Yield: Makes 4 servings plus leftovers
Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus additional for brushing
2 cups 1/3-inch cubes crustless day-old pain rustique
1 cup low-salt chicken broth(chicken soup)
8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup minced shallots/or regular onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (optional)
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound ground turkey (15% fat)
1 pound ground turkey breast
(I used one package of ground turkey)

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/3-inch loaf pan with olive oil.

Toss bread with broth in large bowl. Let stand until bread absorbs broth and softens, about 10 minutes. Mix in mushrooms, eggs, shallots, parsley, thyme, coarse salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons oil.

Add turkey; mix just until blended. Transfer to pan, mounding in center. Bake until thermometer inserted into center registers 170°F, about 1 hour 25 minutes. ( or untiil browned) Let rest 15 minutes before serving.
You can fill it into a pita or eat it with your favorite grain and salad.

Bon Appétit, October 2009

Meal plan:
Cornflake chicken
Lemon chicken
Sesame chicken
Schnitzel
Burgers
You can make homemade veggie burgers and freeze.
Pasta with salmon chunks. It takes much less fish.
stew.
If you deep fry, you can do falafel
Tempura is great. If u want I can get a recipe.
stir fry tofu with lots of veggies and honey sauce.
Greek salad and pizza
Sushi
Quiche
Blintzes
Meat lasagna
Tacos
Leftovers!

Sides: quinoa
Brown rice
White rice
Barley baked with water and spices
Pasta
Lentils
Beans
Soup

Veggies:stir fry
Cut up veggies
Salad
Steamed vegetable

Justlookup

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 4:19 pm
I'm also looking for more supper recipes, although I did make a menu for 2 weeks and I can share that, but I'd just like to mention a great book I just saw called "how does she manage?" it's a really incredible book about 4 frum women who have these meetings and share excellent ideas on practical home organization. I absolutely love it. One of the women works full time and I'm sure u can get ideas from her on how to manage well despite getting home late. It is fiction but culled from real meetings a couple of women had.
Another idea is to, on Sunday for example, to prepare and bake a bunch of chickens and freeze and then when u get home u just have to reheat.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 6:46 pm
do more variations of the things you already like

chicken nuggets/breaded baked chicken: teriyaki, honey mustard, barbecue
hamburgers: barbecue, moroccan, chicken caesar
stir fry: chinese baked chicken, chicken fajitas, cashew chicken

elmos

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 8:33 pm
use your crockpot for the following
chicken and rice
chicken and potato and or other veg
stew meat and rice or potato or veg
meatballs with sauce boil noodles when you come home
meatballs with rice and spices
meat sauce brown the meat than dump that and veg and sauce into crockpot on low
you can also bake chicken dishes half to three quarters the night before
burgers, and tacos are fast
stirfry and lomein are fast fried rice can be fast cook the rice the night before or oil rice while prepping protien and veg
soups freeze well and are great with anything
salmon is fast
prebreaded frozen fish filet with salad and potato, rice or couscous is fast
alfredo
noodles cheese and sauce
chef salad salad with cheese, or deli or chicken
cuttlets cook fast to grill or fry or even bake
fish patties
best thing I did when working long hours was use my crockpot and cook and freeze so one night was shab leftover 1-2 was crockpot one night was freezer etc. good luck if you need recipes let me know

MMCH

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 9:10 pm
here are some of our regular weekly menu
turkey tacos's/turkey burgers/turkey hamburgers (lots of turkey in this house)
fajitas
french freid onion chicken
meatballs (best thing to make in advance)
beef and broccoli

married

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 9:30 am
vordale can I have ur recipe for the beef and broccoli? tia

busydev

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 3:08 pm
Thanks everyone. There are things here I can def use... but alot get knocked off due to dh's/my picky eating habits.

DH used to be ok with meatballs and meat sauce and sloppy joes and meat loaf on occasion... but then came to the realization that he really doesnt like ground meat!!! what am I supposed to do with that?!?!?!

That takes out half the ideas here!

I like the idea to bake chicken bake chicken partway in advance. this way it still tastes fresh but isnt to long to prep. thank you

justlookup would you be able to post your 2 week menu?

elmos thanks for all the ideas... I am able to use some of them (all the ones that dont involve ground meat or cheese) I appreciate that you wrote them all out for me.

ra_mom, I do different things with the chicken nuggets/grilled chicken and stir fry already. different sauces or veggies each time. I amke bbq or george foreman hamburgers usually. I dont like very spicy stuff so that prob takes out the moroccan but what is chicken ceaser hamburgers??

Thank you there4you and vordale for all your ideas as well- there are some I should be able to use.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 5:21 pm
busydev wrote:
ra_mom, I do different things with the chicken nuggets/grilled chicken and stir fry already. different sauces or veggies each time. I amke bbq or george foreman hamburgers usually. I dont like very spicy stuff so that prob takes out the moroccan but what is chicken ceaser hamburgers??
Moroccan burgers aren't spicy as in hot, they are spiced as in well seasoned. Think cumin.

Chicken Caesar burgers are

1 1/4 lbs. ground chicken
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce (ok to sub soy sauce)
1 Tbsp dried parsley
zest of 1 lemon (ok to use splash of lemon)
1/2 tsp salt or 3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp coarse black pepper

Form into 4 large flat burgers. Grill in non stick skillet.
Serve in buns with lettuce and tomatoes seasoned with lemon, olive oil, Dijon mustard, s&p.

If you want to make these in the oven, use dark meat ground chicken.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Jun 21 2012, 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 5:35 pm
Would you consider non-milky, non-meat, vegetarian meals for weekday nights?
You can do stir-fry with tofu, vegetarian mock-meats, lovely hearty stew with chickpeas, rice and lentils (classic!).

Also there're expensive and not-so-expensive fish. If you have a grill, try mackerel or sardines. They're really tasty, healthy and inexpensive. The trick is to marinate so it comes out yummy. (We use a mix of chopped cilantro, crushed garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen