Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Theme Ideas for Camp for Severely Disabled Children?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 12:14 pm
I'm hoping you can help me! My friend is being a head counsellor in a camp for severely-disabled children.

Does anyone have any theme ideas that could work for such a camp?

Liba

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 12:33 pm
Sunshine, happiness, and friendship are the first things that come to mind for me.

preempservices

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 1:24 pm
rainbow/ colors
days of the week/ maaseh beraishis

STMommy

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 1:48 pm
Are you looking for a theme for the whole summer or different themed days?
You could do an Israel theme - focus on different cities, special projects for the three weeks where you do Yerushalayim, Israeli food, etc.

Gerbera

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 2:05 pm
What kinds of disability? They could probably do the same themes as other camps - animals, food, nature, transportation, friends/family, all about me, shapes/colours. You have to provide some more information as to what level the children are functioning at. If your friend is head counselor and needs to come up with the themes, activities, etc. - does she not have any experience in this area and know what would be best appropriate? It's hard to answer when I dont know exactly what you are talking about.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 3:21 pm
to be a head counselor, you should have a lot of experience and if it is with severely disabled kids, then she should know what works for that population(not every severely disabled person is the same). if they wanted someone with no experience, they could have hired anyone.

my mother is a special ed teacher for severely disabled kids. she is highly trained and makes the most of each day. its a high school but she is a primary teacher. seems to me that if you are saying severely disabled, your friend is really in the wrong place if she needs the help of anonymous, inexperienced imamothers to run her camps.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children