Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Gardening Qs...

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 7:14 am
I want to help my son transfer his little plant into a bigger pot.

1) How do I do it? With the soil?

2) What kind of soil do I use to fill the new pot? Can I just take regular dirt from the garden area outside?

3) Does the new pot need to meet any special requirements? I have a small ceramic pot but there is no hole in the bottom. Is this ok to use?

THanks!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 8:44 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
I want to help my son transfer his little plant into a bigger pot.

1) How do I do it? With the soil?

2) What kind of soil do I use to fill the new pot? Can I just take regular dirt from the garden area outside?

3) Does the new pot need to meet any special requirements? I have a small ceramic pot but there is no hole in the bottom. Is this ok to use?

THanks!

What kind of plant is it? Most plants do best when their root ball is contained in the pot without a lot of extra soil surroundng the root ball.

No, don't take dirt from outside! Dirt from outside has all kinds of factors that won't work in a pot; it's a whole ecosystem unto itself. Buy a bag of soil such as Miracle Grow or any similar brand.

Can you drill a hole at the bottom of the ceramic pot? Again, it depends what type of plant it is, but most plants die from overwatering, and not having a drainage hole will contribute to that type of death even faster!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 10:05 am
You can use a big plastic tub that is easily to drill in if you want a hole in your pot. I'm trying to remember what we currently have -- one is an oxiclean bucket, but I can't remember the other one!!

Walmart, Lowes, etc all have potting soil now and it should be easy to procure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics