Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
HELP! I urgently need a really good low-fat version of...

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 7:10 pm
I have been craving (but really, insanely CRAVING) mint chocolate chip ice cream. I bought some of this http://www.breyers.com/product.....-mint and OMG I am in heaven, it is perfect! The problem is the container is 2/3 finished already in less than a week! I've been trying to watch myself and eat healthy but in this case there is no hope, I try holding myself off, filling up on real food, addressing the craving with healthier sweets like frozen berries.... nothing helps, this is the real thing when it comes to serious cravings!

The one I'm loving is mint cookies n cream but a standard mint chocolate chip would probably do just as well. It's the ice cream + mint + chocolate that does it, I think.

HELLLLP!

(not too expensive or on sale would be a bonus, too...)

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 7:19 pm
Have you tried a Yonana? http://www.amazon.com/Yonanas-.....r=8-1

I tried it once, and it was not bad, and the person hadn't even followed the directions properly, she froze greenish bananas, and you're supposed to freeze bananas that are turning brown. I might decide to buy one for myself. You can't compare the calories with real ice cream!!!

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 7:29 pm
Allergic to bananas Sad

Really I'd prefer some way to get rid of the craving, I hate this feeling of being a slave to my body, I'm not used to this but I'm pregnant and it has been CRAZY. First pregnancy wasn't like this at all, and now it's been 4+ months of just constant catering to what I feel I must and must not eat! AAAAARGH! But I can post that in the mental health section or something, right now I just need ice cream!

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 7:34 pm
buy low fat plain yogurt. flavor with honey and mint extract (probably not available in heimish stores). blend. add chocolate chips to taste or a relatively small amount of chocolate cookies. alternatively, blend a second time when half-frozen to give a creamier consistency. then add the chocolate.

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 7:36 pm
I happen to hate yogurt, though I'm ok with many store-bought frozen yogurts. Anyone know of a way to make frozen yogurt at home without it tasting yogurty? I tried making strawberry frozen yogurt at home (earlier craving :roll ) but it was too sour even though I even used sweetened yogurt, not the low-fat kind. And plenty of extra sweetener. It still tasted yogurty.

shnitzel

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 7:43 pm
I would try making frozen yogurt with greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is in a completely different league than regular yogurt.

Breyers is usually fairly low fat because it is pumped full of air. On average they are around 150 cals for half a cup. A more fattening ice cream may actually be more satifying like Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Daaz and you may be able to eat less. Making your own will probably end up being around the same calories and most low fat versions substitute sugar to make up for the lack of fat and I think extra dairy fat is better than extra sugar calories. Greek yogurt has the added benefit of being very rich in protein.

http://www.nesting-project.com......html You can try a recipe like this and add some mint extract.

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 8:05 pm
Yeah I don't want extra sugar any more than I want extra fat. Maybe I'll try Greek yogurt, is it really a lot less sour than regular? I don't think a richer ice cream is going to help because I'm finding this one very satisfying, it's just that I want it again a little later! And then again! And more tomorrow! Oyyyy... I sure hope these habits get easier to break after the baby is born. I have been going through food fads like I would never have believed. I used to be sooooo much healthier, relatively.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 8:10 pm
shnitzel wrote:
I would try making frozen yogurt with greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is in a completely different league than regular yogurt.

Breyers is usually fairly low fat because it is pumped full of air. On average they are around 150 cals for half a cup. A more fattening ice cream may actually be more satifying like Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Daaz and you may be able to eat less. Making your own will probably end up being around the same calories and most low fat versions substitute sugar to make up for the lack of fat and I think extra dairy fat is better than extra sugar calories. Greek yogurt has the added benefit of being very rich in protein.

http://www.nesting-project.com......html You can try a recipe like this and add some mint extract.

greek yogurt is actually plain yogurt that is strained for hours through a cheesecloth bag, so it loses a lot of liquid. it tastes just like yogurt plain. the good greek yogurts are often sweetened with honey, I believe. and it is creamier because it has less whey in it. honey has a good flavor, and combined with various extracts works really well with yogurt. if you add enough honey to yogurt, it really does cut the tartness. and honey has its own nutrition, it's not really just extra calories.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics