Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I screwed up-now what

staten islander

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 8:59 am
So I made a big mistake and I need help and ideas on how to fix it. MY 5 yo ds will only eat the following:
grapes
cucumbers
watermelon
bread/butter/creamcheese
pizza
chicken nuggets(only the green Israeli package)
potatoes
pasta( I only make the Ronzoni healthy choice that is whole wheat and calcium fortified,but looks like white)
Bologna
PB on apple

here is where I screwed up. Because of tiredness,last minute after work rush and a myriad of other excuses, I gave in to him and served him one of the above instead of whatever was on the dinner menu. My other kids eat whatever I make. I am very worried that he is not getting enough vitamins and I also want to get him to eat what everyone else is eating. How can I do that? He refuses to try new things-just says it looks"yuck"

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 9:08 am
it's healthier than many adults Wink

Lady Bug

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 9:20 am
I would put one of the above on the menu every night. I wouldn't force him to eat other foods just out of principle, since the list you provided is quite long.

I'm saying this as a former (and somewhat still) picky eater. I still remember the trauma of being forced to eat foods that I didn't like. Those foods literally made me (and still make me!) nauseous and made me gag.

ewa-jo

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 9:23 am
If you're worried about nutrients, buy him some kids vitamins.

I think that pressuring kids about eating only backfires.. they fight you harder or they realize that the have a way to manipulate you and they have you promising a new toy and a trip to the zoo at every dinnertime.

Keep a wide variety of foods around and offer him new things to taste, but always say something like 'Do you want to try this new kind of cheese I bought? You don't have to if you don't want to'. No pressure.

Your kids' diet doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world.

staten islander

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 9:44 am
But is this normal?

saw50st8

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 9:54 am
We require our kids to taste all the food we serve. They don't have to eat it. We generally ask for 3 bites.

They have discovered a lot of new food that way.

chani8

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 10:01 am
Don't get into battles about food, first of all.

The rule is, we have a menu that everyone helps plan (and make).

If you don't like what's on the menu, eat a sandwhich.

If you're worried about health, give a mulit-vitamin.

Just don't fight about food or your child could turn it into a power struggle.

What is so hard about including his favs into the planned meal, though? I usually have something that they like.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 10:13 am
It doesn't sound so bad. He may still grow out of it.

Important: vitamin and get it from a health food store because I spoke to an owner once and he said a lot of the kiddie vitamins are junk so you should buy a good one.

Saw had a great idea: two or three bites to taste. If he still doesn't want then he can have something from the list, but not his choice, whatever you give him so as not to be a reward for not eating the supper.

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 10:17 am
Another picky eater here saying don't force him to eat what he doesn't like. (3 bites can be torture!)

However, do serve him food he doesn't like along with some of what he does like. He doesn't have to eat it, but he'll get used to having it on his plate and he may just decide to try some new things one day. You want to provide opportunities for him to taste new foods when he's ready to, but without any pressure or forcing. If he really doesn't want the food on his plate, I would give him 2 separate plates- one with food he likes and one with the rest. That way the foods won't touch each other, but he still gets used to having it in front of him.

IMHopinion

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 10:19 am
Nothing to do with you. Many, if not most, kids are that way.
Very few young kids have a large variety of foods they'll try.

They get older, they get more adventurous! Smile

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 10:35 am
My husband is a picky eater. He forces himself, and wishes he had been forced more as a child.

ewa-jo

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 10:36 am
saw50st8 wrote:
We require our kids to taste all the food we serve. They don't have to eat it. We generally ask for 3 bites.

I'm glad you weren't my mom..lol.

I hated meat and fish as a kid. I don't eat it now... not at all. You'd have to pay me lots of money to get me to eat it. If my parents had insisted that I eat 3 bites of tuna fish, well, I would still be sitting at my parents' dinner table right now. I have never eaten tuna. Not ever in my life. Puke

Superwife

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 11:18 am
I actually cant tolerate meat or fish either. I discovered that I was sensitive to certain proteins. Now, due to a lack of iron (I had mono twice, and supplements are good, but not enough) I CRAVE red meat! lol! I would not force my kids to eat, but I do have a policy of "you must try everything". I dont require 3 bites though, I just want them to taste it and see if they like it. If not, they say "its not to my taste". I understand them 100%. Everyone has likes and dislikes, just because they are a child, doesn't mean that they dont have likes and dislikes. I would say; 1) give him the opportunity to try new things gently, with out pressure. 2) always include something he likes into the menu 3) Ask him if he would like a certain dish made differently (I.e. instead of meatballs in tomato sauce, maybe he would like the sweet and sour version) and if he still doesn't like it, 4) say "OK, sometimes we dont always like certain foods, and that's OK. Would you like something else to eat? these are your choices..." you can control the situation by being in charge of the choices, and your child also feels in control because he gets to choose from the options you listed. Its usually a win win situation.

ElTam

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 2:59 pm
That's much better than what my five year old eats. We tried the "you have to try a bite," route. We tried the "no desert route."

Every meal became a battleground. Now we offer and she says yes or no. We give her vitamins. I ran this by our pediatrician and the person I talk to for parenting questions.

Are you worried for health or are you worried for the kid "should" eat more. Because if it's the second one, don't make yourself crazy for nothing.

You should note that your kid eats something from all of the food groups, grains, dairy, meat, fruits and vegetables. That's GREAT for a five year old.

staten islander

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 7:39 pm
thank you,everyone!

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 8:12 pm
all the above suggestions are great--- I would just add this.

When my twins are hungry (before dinner) I make myself something super yummy and super healthy as a snack and I don't offer them any. I just sit down and start eating. I make sure to have enough for all 3 of us on the plate. no fanfare, and sometimes I even laugh about how "annoyed" I am that they're stealing my food. "HEY, give me back my fork, it's MINE!".

My 5 year old twins ADORE salad with all types of veggies in it (EXCEPT mushrooms for some odd reason!!). I'm concerned that your 5 year old is only eating cucumbers when veggies should be a main staple.

Does he drink milk? You can sneak a full protein shake meal into milk, it still tastes like milk, but it's a meal replacement.

Another idea is take the fruits he likes and put them in a fruit salad with other fruits. Take the veggie he likes-- cucumber, and put it on a plate with other veggies. see what happens! Smile

And yep, daily GOOD vitamins! My 5 year old twins eat ALMOST everything but I still give them their daily vitamins.

Has he tried popcorn? My kids are addicted to it.

Superwife

Post Sun, Jun 10 2012, 12:24 am
ewa-jo wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

I'm glad you weren't my mom..lol.

I hated meat and fish as a kid. I don't eat it now... not at all. You'd have to pay me lots of money to get me to eat it. If my parents had insisted that I eat 3 bites of tuna fish, well, I would still be sitting at my parents' dinner table right now. I have never eaten tuna. Not ever in my life. Puke

Rolling Laughter

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jun 10 2012, 12:35 am
Your list is longer that my kid's list. Very Happy

My son doesn't even bother saying "yuck", he just spaces out or wanders away from the table. (He's 2 and a half, so it's not worth it to force him to stay if he's not eating.)

StrongIma

Post Sun, Jun 10 2012, 2:46 am
first of all, yes ur list is longer than mine was at that age who subsisted mostly on tuna or PB sandwiches. don't fight him over it, give him his space and iyh h'ell grow up to try other food and like them at his own pace. my ds is now 14 and eats much more than than, although he still has his likes and dislikes - don't we all?

(btw - where did you screw up?)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children