Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
I'm making Aliyah, now what?

akc

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 7:04 pm
My husband four children and I are IYH planning to make Aliyah in the next couple of months. How did people find places to stay in Israel while they were working out where they were going to be. We will both need to do ulpan. Any advice will be welcome

Marion

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 10:08 pm
Do you know where you WANT to be? Most people start by renting in the community/city they think will be a good match, based on school/work needs. Consider cost of living and what funds you have available for the immediate arrival period. Do NOT count on any of the government funds that are supposed to arrive immediately (like sal klita) when you plan your budget...you will get them but sometimes it takes longer than you think it should. In your case, I'd start by looking at what kind of schooling you want for your kids and go from there.

akc

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:42 am
We have been looking at places like Elad and Ariel.

My husband wants us to start at an absorption centre or kibbutz. I'm concerned about the impact on kids if we set our selves up in a situation that can only be temporary, but I also understand that if pick a place and don't like it we'll have to move anyway.

Would love to hear what people did their first few weeks?

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 8:01 am
I lived in an absorption center in Jerusalem, although I think they've changed it since then, and now only take students and not whole families like they used to. It was great because rent was cheap and because it took me a little while to get oriented around the city and to know where I wanted to live.

With kids, I kinda think you should start out in a proper home... absorption centers feel like a big college dorm with people coming and going. Your ids might do better if you started off renting an apartment somewhere for a few months and then move (or stay) depending on how your situation changes.

smss

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 8:07 am
If you know anyone in those places you could be in touch with, sometimes there are people renting out apartments really short-term - like for a month or two. That way you won't be committed to the apartment (or the place) for that long, but you'll be able to get a feel for it.

I wish I had done that Smile

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 8:52 am
I live in Ariel. I'll PM you with some phone numbers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions