Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Summer Rules

amother

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 9:37 pm
School is over this week.

I want to create some house rules to keep SOME order in the house over the summer.

I have two boys, 9 and 6. They would leave to school at 7:30 and get back home around 4:45. During the school year we dont really allow TV and usually they will play on electronics for about 30 minutes a night but it doesnt happen every night.

Now during the summer they'll leave the house around 8:30 each day and get back around 4:45.

They are assigned kriyah to do over the summer, and they have learning in their camps. They were not assigned any summer homework but I would like to review some topics to make sure they dont forget their work over the summer.

I also have a 2 year old. She may or may not be going to camp. She does watch more TV than I would like and I know it's up to me to entertain her so she isnt at home watching all day.

What rules do you institute in your homes to keep some order during the summer? Are you more lenient with electronic time during the summer than you are during the school year?

any other suggestions?

cm

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 9:59 pm
From the schedule you posted, it looks like the main difference will be in the morning. I was brought up with TV in our home, but we never ever turned it on in the morning when we were school-age. It was considered uncivilized! In general, electronics/technology should stay "off" in the AM to keep everyone from getting distracted from the morning routine. A half-hour or so in the evening is quite enough.

I also recommend maintaining regular bedtimes, even though they have more time in the morning.

Hope this helps - enjoy the summer!

granolamom

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 10:07 pm
I just unplugged our tv last week, I was afraid it would get out of hand during the summer.
our summer rules will be
no tv during the week, 30 min game/computer time per kid each night.
during the school year its the same except I allow my younger kids to watch tv while I'm doing homework with the older ones before my dh comes home. but I"ve had enough of the tv. it makes them cranky.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children