Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Coffee Maker - does it pay to buy a new carafe?

ShiraMiri

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 12:57 pm
Sorry - this is a takeoff on the food processor thread.

I have a Mr. Coffee coffee maker that I bought about 4 years ago. It was on sale for around $20 at Target. It works fine, but last week the glass pot/carafe accidentally got broken. I have been looking for a replacement carafe, but I can't seem to find a Mr. Coffee model at the stores near me. I suppose I could look into finding a replacement part from the company. I saw an ad at Kohl's for a Mr. Coffee maker for $14.99. I haven't looked at the model, but it is probably comparable to mine (low end). Should I just buy a completely new coffee maker or look into the cost of ordering a replacement? What would you do?

My husband said we should but a higher end model altogether. He loves the ones that use individual disks for single servings. I think those wind up being costly, and I like my Dunkin Donuts brand coffee grounds.

Does a more expensive machine make better coffee? What kind do you have?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 1:08 pm
I use a free Gevalia model.

But I would recommend you go new since the best coffee is brewed the hottest, and after a while, they tend not to get as hot anymore.

cassandra

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 1:28 pm
I doubt you'll find a replacement carafe for much less than $14.99 (esp. considering shipping, etc.) IT doesn't seem worth it.

ShiraMiri

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 1:36 pm
So, assuming I get a new coffee maker, should I go with the $14.99 model, or should I splurge on something more expensive? I do notice that when I get coffee directly from Dunkin Donuts it tastes better than the kind I make (although I get Dunkin Donuts coffee grounds). Is it because of their industrial/commercial coffee maker? Is there a brand that makes coffee like the restaurants/coffee shops?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 1:33 pm
So, Marney, what did you decide?

ShiraMiri

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 2:44 pm
I am still not sure. I am going to buy a new machine, because I found that my carafe costs between $15-$19 online not including shipping! So, I might as well get a new machine. I have been reading lots of coffee maker reviews, and apparently, Bunn is one of the highest rated machines. It isn't outrageously expensive, but much more than $14.99. However, people say that it tastes like restaurant coffee. So now I am debating should I go with another $15-$20 model or spend a bit more? If anyone cares to take a peek at the model and reviews I am considering here is the link. If anyone has a machine like this, please let me know how you like it!

http://www.amazon.com/Bunn-NHB.....arden

Last edited by ShiraMiri on Wed, Nov 15 2006, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 2:56 pm
Get one with a timer so then you can have freshly brewed coffee on shabbos morning!

(We asked a few Rabbanim who said it was fine, I don't remember exactly the reason why but something to do with it coffee being 99% water)

ShiraMiri

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 3:16 pm
I asked my husband if I could do that - my current machine has a timer - and he said no because it is actually brewing/cooking a substance without a kli shi shi. However, your rav's point about it being 99% water (therefore the coffee is bittul?) might be something. But then what about heating a liquid substance past a boiling point (even automatically)? Anyhow, I suppose I would have to ask a shailah if I really wanted to do that. Hot coffee on a cold Shabbos morning does sound nice.. I make due with tea (essence) now.

cindy324

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 3:27 pm
That coffee maker you posted the link to doesn't look too impressive for the price. BTW, the reason why your Dunkin Donuts coffee grounds don't taste the same is because at the store the beans are ground right before they brew the coffee, or at least the same day. So if you're gonna spend $80 on a coffee maker, for a few dollars more, look into one that has a coffee bean grinder attached to it. I believe cuisinart makes one. You can grind some beans right before you brew and you'll have that fresh Dunkin Donuts taste.

http://www.1stincoffee.com/det.....pping

This is the one I'm talking about.

ShiraMiri

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 3:36 pm
Thanks for the link! Ok, now I have something else to think about! However, I think I am too lazy to grind the beans every day. If making the coffee is too much of a production, I'll find my machine collecting dust and and me in line at the coffee shop each morning (which is what I have been doing since my carafe broke!).

Is it easier just to buy a cup or two of coffee each day? Not a $5 fancy drink, just a plain coffee with cream and sugar for $1.50? In the long run it costs less to invest in a machine, but don't most people buy their coffee these days instead of brewing their own?

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 4:00 pm
Keep the ground coffee in the freezer, it stays much fresher like that.

cindy324

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 5:21 pm
Marney, if you read the description on that coffeemaker, I think it says that, it grinds the beans, and then automatically brews. So all you'd have to do is put in the beans and water and the rest is all done by the machine.

Do you really want to waste time waiting on line every morning for a cup of coffee? I love my coffee maker (also a freebie from gevalia, which mind you, is a Cuisinart in disguise! $80 value)), anytime I feel like a cup, I just go and make some.

cindy324

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 5:24 pm
Oh, and I'd like to add that the Brew-pause feature is great. You can just remove the carafe before it has stopped brewing, and it'll automatically stop dripping until you replace the carafe.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 6:41 pm
I would say that no, most people do not buy their coffee on a daily basis. Or maye they buy their first cup only. I think $1.50 is a lot for coffee on a regular basis.

The rov said that the reason you can put a coffeemaker on a timer for Shabbos is b/c it's self contained, like a crockpot. If you are worried about the noise not being Shabbosdike, you can have it go off very early in the morning.

ShiraMiri

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 6:44 am
Some of you gals got a FREE coffee maker from Gevalia? Where do I sign up? Still thinking about my options. I tend to overanalyze things.... Smile

ETA - I saw the ad online - I assume the coffee has a hechsher? Never heard of this brand. Also, you have to pay $19.95 for coffee to get the coffee maker. You also have to remember to cancel your membership or they will continue to send you coffee and charge you every month.

http://www.joingevalia.com/Pro.....12962

Last edited by ShiraMiri on Thu, Nov 16 2006, 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 6:50 am
they must have a website. you can get many free things from them- they have various offers.

You know yu have to get coffee, too, right?

cindy324

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 10:20 am
Marney, I get Gevalia, and yes it was 19.95 for the two boxes of coffee and the shipping and handling. The coffee maker is still a nice bonus for that money.

You can sign up online and specify how often you want to receive your coffee shipments. You can also suspend shipments for up to 6 months. Or you ca cancel alltogether with one phone call.

ShiraMiri

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 11:19 am
cindy - thanks for the information. About the coffee - what is the hechsher on the coffee? About the coffeemaker - what features does it have and how do you know it is a Cuisinart in dusguise?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics