Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Paying for camp
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 2:14 pm
I'm confused...state park/lake for swimming? how are there no tznius issues?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
I'm confused...state park/lake for swimming? how are there no tznius issues?
You don't have to go swimming. I think Shepherd's has boats. You can just go on the shore and chill. YOu can fish (I bought my kids fishing nets) You don't have to swim. Check it out! There are gorgeous parks all over NJ, not far from Monsey at all.

Isher

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 2:22 pm
If you want to do some inexpensive trips you can try the following:

Haverstraw Park - playground, water, marina.. you can also do a bbq

Childrens Park of Ramapo - 11 Grotke Rd, Spring Valley, NY 10977

Eugene Levy - down route 45 toward Pomona

Viola park

Van Saun Park - little zoo, playground - it's in NJ around 20 min. from Monsey.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 5:32 pm
Thanks, those are all good ideas....we've done them all! Very Happy

ElTam

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 5:55 pm
We've always just had the kids in camp for a two weeks and then home the rest of the time. They are only in camp all summer this year because I am working. I loved our lazy summer days together. We read, played, watched videos, went for walks, played some more, did crafts, went to the library, etc. They were happy and not stressed. They get structure in school all year; I think it's great for kids to be home in the summer. In our community, many people send, but plenty don't. Don't apologize for anything. Your kids are not missing out.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 6:32 pm
Some people barter services to camp - use of their car, work in the office, etc.
Some school camps offer scholarships.
Some people cheshbon, if we're paying X/month tuition, this is the money we have to play with over the summer.
Which might explain how some people do it.
But I ran camp mommy for a good few years, though I will confess to having sent kids to camp some weeks, not always the school camp but cheaper August camps.

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 7:05 pm
How old are your kids?

I run CampMom for my kids. They would rather be with me then in summer camp. I would rather be with them so it works out.

Does you car not have air conditioning at all or does it just need a shot of freon? It is worth it to fix.

Have you taken the ferry across the river? That's really cheap. This week I took my kids to two surprisingly good backyard carnivals. There are a lot of families who don't send.

I go to Rockland lake park at the end of the day. It is too hot for me during the day. It is free and still light.

This week I sent my son to a camp at his school. It was $85.00 for the week. I took my daughter to the city and did girly activities with her like the American Girl Doll store.

Last night was fireworks.

My daughter is going to a sewing and crafts camp for a week and I will do boy actives that week. There is a mom who is giving a free baking camp for girls the week my daughter is going. Sewing camp is made up of girls not going to camp. It is in a frum lady's house.

I looked in Community Connections today for a drop-in pool. I could not find one. There are free small museums.

I bought my daughter rollerblades, she is blading early in the day. I do a lot of crafts and baking with my kids.

I also work on secular subjects. I do canteen. We do exercise. I have resurrected my hulu hoop skills.

We are hatching some butterflies now. The kids are fascinated.

I am doing a puzzle with my son now.

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 7:06 pm
How old are your kids?

I run CampMom for my kids. They would rather be with me then in summer camp. I would rather be with them so it works out.

Does you car not have air conditioning at all or does it just need a shot of freon? It is worth it to fix.

Have you taken the ferry across the river? That's really cheap. This week I took my kids to two surprisingly good backyard carnivals. There are a lot of families who don't send.

I go to Rockland lake park at the end of the day. It is too hot for me during the day. It is free and still light.

This week I sent my son to a camp at his school. It was $85.00 for the week. I took my daughter to the city and did girly activities with her like the American Girl Doll store.

Last night was fireworks.

My daughter is going to a sewing and crafts camp for a week and I will do boy actives that week. There is a mom who is giving a free baking camp for girls the week my daughter is going. Sewing camp is made up of girls not going to camp. It is in a frum lady's house.

I looked in Community Connections today for a drop-in pool. I could not find one. There are free small museums.

I bought my daughter rollerblades, she is blading early in the day. I do a lot of crafts and baking with my kids.

I also work on secular subjects. I do canteen. We do exercise. I have resurrected my hulu hoop skills.

We are hatching some butterflies now. The kids are fascinated.

I am doing a puzzle with my son now.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 8:59 pm
amother wrote:
OP here... Thanks everyone. I'm a SAHM and I love being with my kids. I've almost always kept them home for the summers and never felt bad about it. We've always had fun at home and taken a few day trips to farms, zoos, etc. This year, however, my older ones are more aware of what their friends are doing and feel like they're missing out. In my daughters class she is probably the only one not in daycamp. Also, I don't have a way to take them on long trips this summer as my car doesn't have A/C and in this heat I'm afraid its a sakana to drive too long/far. Does anyone have exciting very low budget ideas in Monsey? Also, any know of a pool I could take them to? Thanks everyone.

I am in Monsey, and my kids are staying home this summer. They actually begged me NOT to send them to camp, they'd rather stay home and chill and have some mommy time. But they're not so old... Feel free to PM me, maybe we can get together for some activities.

I bake with them, I bought a bunch of cheap craft kits from Amazing Savings, I have a kiddie pool, water slide, water balloons, water guns, etc., and we go on trips depending on the weather. I'm also teaching them how to do laundry (my 6 year old loves this) and mop the floors. If you make it fun, any chore becomes a major activity.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics