Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Lift Me Higher by Estie Florans - Any Good? Comments please

pumpkinsbubby

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 4:12 pm
I saw this book advertised online. Did anyone read it? Is it good?
I am looking to expand my home library this summer with good, relaxing, fun books. Realistic, but not too deep... Please let me know if you've read this one and what you think. TIA

rise above

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 10:03 am
I read it and really liked it. It is definetly not light superficial reading, but it was the kind of book that you care for the characters- maybe because it was 500 pages?
I really related to one of the characters and actualy found myself moved by the book.
Compared to her other books, it is less preachy then set me free, but more in depth then conquer the darkness.

newcomer

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 12:25 pm
looked in my bookstore last week and did not see it Sad
anyone else read it and care to give a review?

bashinda

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 10:19 pm
I read it last Shabbos and really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed Set Me Free, but felt sometimes talked down to while reading It, which I don't at all here, maybe because it's a first-person narration. Its premise is really interesting, how we can be so caught up in climbing, we forget the whole purpose of why we'reclimbing. The main character is so obsessed with belonging and everything being impossibly perfect.

Hidden: 

I was impressed that her main character is a daughter of baalei teshuva.

Oh and after reading this book I really want to make zucchini muffins for Shabbos!

Last edited by bashinda on Fri, Jul 06 2012, 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total

kallateach

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 10:45 pm
I read it and loved it. I felt it was a book you could really sink your teeth into and I need that for a little relaxation.

baker1

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 11:08 pm
I thought htis book was more for sem. and high scool age girls. Thats just my opinion.....

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 7:52 am
bashinda wrote:
I read it last Shabbos and really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed Set Me Free, but felt sometimes talked down to while reading It, which I don't at all here, maybe because it's a first-person narration. Its premise is really interesting, how we can be so caught up in climbing, we forget the whole purpose of why we'reclimbing. The main character is so obsessed with belonging and everything being impossibly perfect. I was impressed that her main character is a [...]
Oh and after reading this book I really want to make zucchini muffins for Shabbos!

Maybe you should edit this with a spoiler alert. How many pages does it take to find out this detail about her main character? Does the plot turn on it?

I'm going to get through this. Not quite my style but I'm at about p. 40 and I have to say that I greatly respect her ability to get into a teenager's head.

bashinda

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 9:23 am
PinkFridge: Done, although I don't think this aspect of the book is that secret, it's not on the blurb, so I've hidden it, as requested.

I don't think this book is just for teenagers although teenagers can probably be more sympathetic to her character than adults. Once the pressure to conform isn't as stifling, it's harder to relate. It just shows what a good job she did portraying teenagers.

Also, the main character is not a teenager for all of the book, although she is one for over half of it. She goes to sem and gets married, and that's when... well you'll have to read it to find out. Just make a batch of zucchini muffins and a decaf coffee and enjoy.

(Sorry about the zucchini muffins. It's mentioned enough times in the book, enough that I really am making a batch to have this Shabbos. I just hope it's as healthy as the ones featured in the book. No, that's not the only thing I got out of this book!)

runninglate

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 9:41 am
baker1 wrote:
I thought htis book was more for sem. and high scool age girls. Thats just my opinion.....
I felt the same way.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 12:00 pm
I'm almost done with the book. Bashinda, not such a spoiler but thanks for being accommodating.
I had an easier time with the main character after she graduated high school but it is kind of frustrating to read a book this size and want to throttle someone so far into the book. But I do have to admit that it's not badly written, yeah, maybe not for my age (I think I'm 2 -3x the age of the target audience Wink ). Though I do think she could have used contractions more.

bashinda

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 5:54 pm
She drove me just a little bit crazy too. Okay more than a little. It didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book, although it's making me dread for when my kids will be teenagers!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room