Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Sesame Oil or Toasted Sesame Oil

Isher

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 8:47 am
I recently came across quite a few recipes, some calling for sesame oil and some toasted sesame oil. I would only like to get one of the two and substitute it for the other. Which is a better sub?

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 9:01 am
They aren't the same. Toasted sesame oil has a rich, toasted flavor while sesame oil tastes like sesame oil. If had to buy one, I'd buy toasted. It adds so much flavor!

smss

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 9:08 am
I might be wrong but I think toasted sesame is a lot stronger - so you wouldn't want to substitute it in equal measurements, you'd probably want to use a lot less - and could be it depends on the recipe if it would work at all

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 9:23 am
If the recipe calls for sesame oil in teaspoons or tablespoons you can assume that they are referring to toasted sesame oil.
If it calls for larger increments, you're better off asking before using that much toasted sesame oil in a recipe.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 1:09 pm
The only one I see are toasted sesame oil (ok, I confess sometimes calling it sesame oil), which has deep brown colour and distinctive nutty flavour and used for oriental cooking. That's the one most people refer to. I haven't seen untoasted sesame oil--sounds like puddle of oil that accumulates on top of tehini jar, which bears no resemblance?

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 2:01 pm
Sesame oil is yellow-ish and you can get it at health food stores like Whole Foods. It's doesn't have as rich a flavor as toasted and I see no real use for it.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 5:07 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Sesame oil is yellow-ish and you can get it at health food stores like Whole Foods. It's doesn't have as rich a flavor as toasted and I see no real use for it.
I agree.
It's not worth the extra expense - costs much more than regular oil and doesn't taste all that different.

Get the toasted OP.

Isher

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 5:55 pm
Thank you so much for the helpful info. I got the toasted and hope the dish comes out good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics