Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Help, I don't think I can do this!
Previous  1  2

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:20 pm
seeker wrote:

Um, because my doctor, midwife, and psychologist are telling me that it's what my body needs and I won't know whether it works until I give it a fair chance?

The dr, I understand. But psychologist & mid wife? What do they know about nutrition ?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:40 pm
Choc moose thats so funny - here I was thinking "midwife I can understand, but what do dr and psychologist know about it?"

My mw always talks to me about my nutrition. Dr - never did.

My first mw is the one who got me to switch from white flour/pasta/bread to whole wheat. G-d bless her.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:46 pm
QUINOA! So many variations. You can treat it like pasta, mix in veggies, anything really...and it has a lot of protein.

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 5:27 pm
Quinoa is an idea, never loved it but it's something. It's not a carb? It looks like one...

Other fancy health foods - I was already going over budget every other month lately just from regular food.

Many psychologists might not know about nutrition but I think it behooves them to. Foods can have a big effect on moods and the like. In fact when I was interviewing psychologists to choose one that's part of what drew me to this one over others who were much quicker to push referrals to psychiatrists for medications. Why go there first? As for midwife and doctor, their jobs are to know about taking care of your body, including nutrition.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 5:41 pm
From About.com
Quote:
While quinoa is usually considered to be a whole grain, it is actually a seed, but can be prepared like whole grains such as rice or barley. Try a quinoa pilaf salad recipe, or serve a vegetable stir-fry over cooked quinoa instead of rice. Quinoa is my favorite whole grain for three reasons: First, it takes less time to cook than other whole grains – just 10 to 15 minutes. Second, quinoa tastes great on its own, unlike other grains such as millet or teff. Add a bit of olive oil, sea salt and lemon juice and - yum! Finally, of all the whole grains, quinoa has the highest protein content, so it's perfect for vegetarians and vegans. Quinoa provides all 9 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. Quinoa is a gluten-free and cholesterol-free whole grain, is kosher for Passover, and is almost always organic.

It cooks like rice- so a bag really contains a a lot more than it looks like raw.

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 5:54 pm
how about barley?

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 5:48 pm
So meanwhile I haven't gone shopping yet and I have zero ideas or inspiration for supper, which everyone will be wanting to eat in less than 2 hours. Yesterday I cheated and did macaroni (with plenty of veggie sides), so I can't even do that now. Had tuna for lunch and eggs for breakfast.

I'm thinking of making a pea soup or something even though it is so not appropriate for this ughy hot humid weather, do I really want a big pot on my stove for 2 hours? Maybe a different day when I can start it up earlier and then just leave to a cooler room for a while. Winter is so much easier.

Ugh I know there are ideas out there, including on this thread, but I am just so not appetized by any of it. I want pizza or something.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise