Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
At what point is something out of style?

mirror

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 6:09 pm
I have not been paying attention to fashion lately, and therefore I am asking this question in earnest: At what point is something no longer in fashion?

How do I know when to throw something out and shop for new clothes?

Banging head Scratching Head Help Question Banging head Scratching Head Help Question Banging head Scratching Head Help Question Banging head Scratching Head Help Question Banging head Scratching Head Help Question

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 6:16 pm
It depends on a few factors:

- How important it is to you to keep pace, regarding style, with those around you.

- If the item is simply 'classic' rather than 'old-fashioned'.

- Do you like how you look in the item?

Want to post some pics, and we'll vote on whether to toss or keep?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 6:19 pm
Are people who generally dress in fashion still wearing it, even once in a while? Is it a classic style that generally looks good always, so long as it's in good condition? If so, it's probably fine. If you only see that type of clothing on people who are clueless when it comes to fashion, it should probably be put away- if you care to dress in style.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 6:20 pm
Do you feel comfortable in it?

If you do, why throw it out? And why care if it's in style? Anyone who cares enough for it to make a difference in the way they view/treat you isn't worth your time. And everyone else could care less. As long as you feel comfortable, what does it matter?

At least, that's my view on the subject. Then again, I still have and wear some of the same shirts I wore in seminary. I'm over a decade older now, but I like them and feel comfortable in them, and they don't look faded or old. If someone doesn't like what I wear, so be it.

cm

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 6:26 pm
If the item was trendy when you bought it, and you wouldn't have bought it if it weren't trendy, it won't "keep" as well as classic styles.

Classic clothing styles do change in small ways, but the exact width of your plackets doesn't scream "trend!" the way day-glo colors from 1984 do.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 6:28 pm
If it's very baggy clothes or shoulderpads, you may want to think twice before you wear them. Otherwise, vintage is in and these days, almost anything goes.

mirror

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 6:29 pm
Thanks. I have a better idea of what clothes I can still wear.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics