Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Is giving good gifts an art?

manyhats

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 9:30 pm
Some people seem to have a knack for giving just the right gift.
Any tips for giving good gifts?

One tip: Think of what the giftee wants/likes. Not what the gift giver likes.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 11:20 pm
manyhats wrote:

I usually do well at gift giving. what you mentioned above it good advice. I'd just change one little thing. "mentally put yourself in the giftee's situation, think what you would like were you her and personalize it (as in initial, color, and of course a nice note to go with it)". Personalizing a gift really makes the receiver feel like you put thought into it.

Sherri

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 11:23 pm
An art or a science? Wink

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 11:54 pm
I think I am a good gift-giver. I never personalize because it can't be returned. I have bought Tiffany with something that reflected the recipients taste. I always buy a step above what someone would buy themselves. I also buy brand names and include a gift receipt.

I also listen for hints what orders pleases people.

spring13

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 12:12 am
I try to buy a nicer version of something the person actually needs/will use - like for a baby gift, I'll get a really nice bottle of baby wash with a towel and ducky (ie: California Baby instead of Johnson's). Or my husband wanted a comfy shirt, so I got him a nice rugby one from LL Bean instead of just a polo from Target.

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 3:09 am
I try to give something that is useful. like when giving a baby outfit, I make sure the size & season match up. or a nice set of (inexpensive, but classy looking) serving bowls for a family that has a lots of guests. I once gave a massage/pedicure for someone who was doing e/t for e/1, but really not paying attn to herself. I asked her dh if that was something she'd appreciate before buying it.

ora_43

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 3:18 am
Sherri wrote:
An art or a science? Wink

An art. Science has logic to it, and even if you find it quite difficult, if you follow the rules things should work out.

Art, though - you need to have some sort small degree of natural ability or it won't work.

Me, for instance, I'm terrible at recognizing people or noticing what they're wearing or anything related to turning visual input into useful information. So I doubt I'll ever be good at picking out clothes or jewelry, no matter how much I try to imagine myself in the other person's shoes.

That said, I think I'm still OK at giving gifts. My rule is, you can't go too far wrong with cash (or if it's not someone I know well, a gift certificate). I may lose points for tackiness (or cheapness), but at least I always get something the recipient can use. So maybe it is a science after all.

imaima

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 3:19 am
manyhats wrote:
Some people seem to have a knack for giving just the right gift.
Any tips for giving good gifts?

I think it is an art. Which means, you can't expect a perfect gift from everyone and anyone. It's a talant like anything else.

chani8

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 4:14 am
The whole gift giving thing is torture for me.

manyhats

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 9:21 am
I like my sister's gifts.
beach umbrella, rain umbrella from MTA with subway map on inside, raft with pillow and cup holder for pool
The best: Arranged a tab at Meal Mart in upstate NY

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 9:33 am
manyhats wrote:
I like my sister's gifts.
beach umbrella, rain umbrella from MTA with subway map on inside, raft with pillow and cup holder for pool
The best: Arranged a tab at Meal Mart in upstate NY

I have given stamps and cards for shut-ins to give to others.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 10:35 am
manyhats wrote:

I think this is the only tip.

My mother used to give a great gift to newlyweds. A filled sewing box and a filled tool box. Smile

abby1776

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 2:23 pm
Some people are impossible to please and have very specific tastes.

For example, for my mother, if it doesnt come in a blue box from Tiffany;s forget it.

For my husband, he is very into technology, but he does extensive research before buying the "right" technology item for him. I could never do that research or just purchase any average technologgy item (insert camera, phone, computer, etc.) for him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics