Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Floor vs Carpet

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 11:11 am
Im buying a house and trying to figure out what kind of floor to put into the bedrooms. I'm against putting carpet for a lot of reasons, mainly my DH's asthma. Im just not sure what other options I have. Parquet is expensive.

Any advice?

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 11:29 am
We did our house completely last year, and decided for carpets upstairs in the bedrooms/corridors (we don't wear shoes indoors, good to have carpets as it gets cold here). For downstairs, instead of solid wood flooring we went for engineered wood floors. The top layer is just like solid woods, doesn't look cheap like laminates. It is treated so less worry about scratches. The only thing is to make sure the material is thick enough.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 11:38 am
Many have "moquette" (wall to wall carpet??) or linoleum.
A carpet/rug can be put on a cold floor, like some parquets.
What exactly is laminate?

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 11:43 am
Laminate is fake wood. Some laminates are so nice they look as good as the cheaper engineered woods, or even better.
The major question is what is your climate like. I live in Israel, I wouldn't dream of putting carpet anywhere in my home. I have a big area rug in the living room to cozy it up, but that's it. Anything else is just stuffy and grimy in our long hot stuffy summers.
I suggest laminate. Not as expensive as real wood, much much easier to clean than carpet, cozier than stone for the bedrooms, much much more allergy friendly. There are some really nice laminates out there that look almost like the real thing.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 11:54 am
I dont want to put carpet because my DH has Asthma, carpets stain easily, my toddlers love spilling negel vasser, etc

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 5:10 pm
These days there are so many options available, not only real parket! We used to live in a flat that had a mixed floor (wood/synthetic something) and it was amazing, so pay a visit to your local dealer and let them advise you.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 5:17 pm
We have laminate that looks like wood in all the bedrooms and we are very happy. If you like you can put a cosy rug or two down as well. It never gets very very cold here, just cold, and it is fine even in the winter.

We have carpets on the stairs and upstairs hallway only.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 5:28 pm
Newbie, I was advised to steer away from the laminate with compressed wood in high traffic areas that might have spills. Probably fine for bedrooms.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jul 13 2012, 12:01 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Newbie, I was advised to steer away from the laminate with compressed wood in high traffic areas that might have spills. Probably fine for bedrooms.

that's why we went for engineered woods, because you can sand it down (unlike laminates) but don't have to worry about spills ruining the surface/sealants (unlike hardwood).

cm

Post Fri, Jul 13 2012, 12:37 pm
Laminate or hardwood would be my choices. We have laminate in a high-traffic area with no problems. I never heard it wasn't recommended.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 13 2012, 1:03 pm
Polyurethane-sealed hardwood rocks. It can be plain slat, not parquet. Parquet is usually reserved for formal areas, I.e. living and dining rooms, not bedrooms and halls. Hardwood tiles may be cheaper than continuous flooring.

mimimom

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 2:46 pm
I LOVE the tiles they have in Eretz Yisrael (and Florida) with area rugs where bare feet would be unhappy in the winter. Stain proof, nice looking and SOOOOO easy to clean!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars