Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Attn Lakewood residents or anyone familiar

clowny

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 1:08 pm
We are going to six flags with the kids and spending a few days in the area. We want to stay in lakewood, our plan was solomon suites but I just called then and they closed down. Where else could we stay? Are there any other hotels in lakewood? Nice and decent looking. It doesnt really have to be a jewish place.

Also if you could give me more ideas what to do with the kids, we are leaving tomorrow late afternoon. Going wednesday to six flags, thursday to safari and im still open for suggestions for second half of thursday and for friday.

I also want to know where we can go out to eat, shop for groceries and anything else you think I might want to know. Everything is appreciated.

Thanks

sky

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 1:43 pm
I'm copying these ideas from a different thread:

After 4/5 you can visit the beaches. Point pleasant has fireworks one night a week.
Camden Aquarium.
2 or more person bike and ride on the beach - http://www.rentmeatrossis.com/
boating - In Lakewood itself there is a boat rental on the lake and there are lots of parks nearby with boat rentals
Allaire state park is a nice park with a historic village.
Jackson Jungle - fun playground
Historic Longstreet Farm in Holmdel Park - playground with animals
Atlantic Farms - small farm you can feed the animals (near Allaire state park if you want to make it a full day)
Fruit Picking - see what is in season at Battleview orchards
Vegetable Picking - Hallocks U-pick
Popcorn Zoo
Rockeffeller Park -Ocean County Park in Lakewood - playground and small beach.
Sprayground at Dorbrook Recreation Area

NPGS has the best prices for food in town, and they have 3 locations.

I've never stayed in hotels in the area as I live here but there aren't really any decent hotels in Lakewood proper. Nearby there is a Ramada in Toms River and a brand new Hilton in Lakewood (but outside of the frum area)

clowny

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 1:59 pm
sky wrote:
I'm copying these ideas from a different thread:

After 4/5 you can visit the beaches. Point pleasant has fireworks one night a week.
Camden Aquarium.
2 or more person bike and ride on the beach - http://www.rentmeatrossis.com/
boating - In Lakewood itself there is a boat rental on the lake and there are lots of parks nearby with boat rentals
Allaire state park is a nice park with a historic village.
Jackson Jungle - fun playground
Historic Longstreet Farm in Holmdel Park - playground with animals
Atlantic Farms - small farm you can feed the animals (near Allaire state park if you want to make it a full day)
Fruit Picking - see what is in season at Battleview orchards
Vegetable Picking - Hallocks U-pick
Popcorn Zoo
Rockeffeller Park -Ocean County Park in Lakewood - playground and small beach.
Sprayground at Dorbrook Recreation Area

NPGS has the best prices for food in town, and they have 3 locations.

I've never stayed in hotels in the area as I live here but there aren't really any decent hotels in Lakewood proper. Nearby there is a Ramada in Toms River and a brand new Hilton in Lakewood (but outside of the frum area)

Thanks a lot.

Do you know what night the fireworks at point pleasant is?
And how far, by car is the hilton?

Thanks again

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 2:04 pm
You can eat out as follows:

Shoprite also has a big Kosher selection, but the Kosher items are more expensive than NPGS. There are some Kosher takeout/eat-in places in shoprite plaza:
JII Pizza
D-Luxe (fleishig take-out)
Sprinkles (ice-cream store)

Nearby on Kennedy Blvd shopping center is Glatt Bite - fleishig eat-in/takeout. Yussies (Clifton and 2nd, or in WestGate) has Fleishig take-out.

Pizza Plus (4th Street near Clifton) and Westgate Pizza are some other choices.

sarys

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 2:16 pm
Point Pleasant has fireworks on thurs night. You can look on Jenkinson's website for details.

sky

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 2:16 pm
http://www.jenkinsons.com/events/2012-08#600
Fireworks at Dark
Thursday - August 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 — 8:30PM to 8:45PM

The hilton from the center of Lakewood (yeshiva) is about 10 minutes. But 5 minutes or less from nearby shuls (like the one in Somerset walk). I don't know too much about minyan schedules there, so I can't be too much of a help with that.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 2:24 pm
I stayed at the Hilton on Rt. 70 and it was very nice. Get hold of the Voice of Lakewood for attractions-this past week they published pages and pages of places to go and some are really great.

clowny

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 2:24 pm
Is this the hilton youre referring to?

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton......html

I just wanna make sure

Thanks, I appreciate it a lot

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 2:26 pm
Yes, that's the one.

clowny

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 2:32 pm
Anybody know what the ramada looks like? Is it decent and nice? And is it closer then the hilton to the frum community?

clowny

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 2:39 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I stayed at the Hilton on Rt. 70 and it was very nice. Get hold of the Voice of Lakewood for attractions-this past week they published pages and pages of places to go and some are really great.

Where could I get hold of it?

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 3:15 pm
The Ramada is slightly closer to the frum community - it's on Rt. 9, just past the Lkwd-Toms River border. The Hilton is maybe 2-3 minutes farther. I think it wouldn't make all that much of a difference if you have a car. If you will be staying over Shabbos, the Ramada is probably your best bet, as there are several developments about 5 minutes away so you can walk to the shuls.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 3:56 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
The Ramada is slightly closer to the frum community - it's on Rt. 9, just past the Lkwd-Toms River border. The Hilton is maybe 2-3 minutes farther. I think it wouldn't make all that much of a difference if you have a car. If you will be staying over Shabbos, the Ramada is probably your best bet, as there are several developments about 5 minutes away so you can walk to the shuls.

Oh, I must have misread. If you are staying over Shabbos def. stay in the closer one. And shop in NPGS on Rte. 88. I'll pm you.

clowny

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 4:00 pm
thanks, but were not staying over shabbos, just till friday.
you didnt misread, groisamomma

but I still need a place to shop, since were being there for 3 days

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 4:05 pm
Okay. NPGS is the local kosher supermarket closest to where you are staying and the most reasonable. They are on Ocean Avenue (also called Rte. 88) between Clifton and Lexington Avenues. BTW on and around Clifton Avenue and Second Street there are some nice places to eat out-the new Yussi's is a fleishig restaurant and the Heimish Bake Shop has breakfast and lunch food, too.

I know you mentioned On The Grill but they are a full-service waiter place and they are expensive. Everyone I know was kept waiting in excess of 1/2 hr. for a table so you MUST call ahead and make reservations. Their new name is The Reserve and their address is 95 E Kennedy Boulevard Lakewood, NJ 08701. There's a grocery next door-Shloimy's- if you want to do some food shopping at the same time.

lkwdmommy

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 4:35 pm
West Kennedy Blvd is clear on the other side of town from the Ramada and Hilton. Will take at least 15 minutes without traffic each way. Why don't you try grocery shopping at Stop and Shop (something like that) located on Route 9 (north side). There is a takeout place called glatt gourmet (do they have seating there also-does anyone know?) in Chateau Plaza-also on the 9(south side)-a little further than Stop and Shop. There is a dairy restaurant in that area (formerly Rimon Cafe-changed ownership recently). On Route 9 (south) corner Spruce Street are a Pizza Shop and a Shwarma place - and a kosher Rita's.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 4:58 pm
http://www.thevoiceoflakewood.com/ - click on this weeks issue - page 47.

Westgate has a very good Pizza store, with lots of sitting space.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 6:10 pm
Capitol Hotel but its very rundown.. Nice motel on 5th and Madison

sky

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 6:28 pm
If you will be staying at either the Ramada or Hilton, they are closer to Route 70 so you may as well not travel through town. There is a small kosher grocery store on that side - I think its called stop and shop. And there is the Rimon steak house, a bagel place, cafe, taco place, pizza place (I think) all on that side of town. No reason to drive all the way to other side.

(I only think the reserve had a wait a while ago. I was there recently and it was empty).

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 2:17 am
Everyone's right about not driving through town. I live on the other side so these places weren't even on my radar Very Happy. As for the motel on 5th Street, Econo Lodge, steer very clear of it...no one I know was happy there and the online reviews are atrocious.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics