Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Covering hair
Previous  1  2

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sun, Jul 29 2012, 8:29 pm
Covering my hair is the easiest thing for me, probably because I have such gross, greasy stick straight hair. After half a day my hair looks like I didnt shower all week! I love how I can finally play around with my 'hair', wear it short one day and have a long pony the next! I can finally have wavy hair, which was always my dream.

I do agree though that wigs take some time getting used to. See if you can borrow from a friend, and if you do decide to go the wig route, make sure you go to an experienced sheitelmacher who has experience with newbie sheitel wearers.

Tichels are cheap, especially those cool Israeli style kinds. Worst case, if you buy a few and dont like them, you can always wear them as a scarf.

mimimom

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 2:24 pm
Don't think about "forever." I started with cheap shaitels, moved to scarves and hats, and then (as I got older, and didn't look so good in scarves anymore) finally got a GOOD shaitel which I love!
I second what an earlier poster said: Wearing a shaitel makes life SOOOO much easier. I never look like I've slept in my hair. Wink And if you have more than one you'll never have a bad hair day.
Go slowly and give yourself time to adapt. I also have non-religious family and I've found that, whith any Jewish practice, it's best to not get into a discussion if at all possible. I don't expect them to "understand" just to respect my right to do things the way I think is right.
If you do decide to go the shaitel route, definitely take a knowledgable friend along, and be sure it fits properly. A decent shaitelmacher can make all sorts of adjustments so that it will sit securely and comfortably (otherwise it will drive you crazy).
Hatzlacha rabba!!!

alte mamme

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 9:57 pm
On the day after my wedding, my father called me on his way up to my apartment and when I let him in, still talking to him on the phone, he walked right past me because he didn't recognize me in the sheitel!

But not one person in my non-religious family has ever said anything negative about my wearing a sheitel. Even when I wore ones that looked terrible! Not even the contingent in my family that is fervently anti-religious. My mother even commented once about how soft and silky it was (my nice one, that is).

BUY A PRECUT if at all possible. Even a stylist with the best reputation can give you an irreversible cut that you end up hating! Be sure it fits right and it's comfortable. You'll hate wearing it if it isn't comfortable. If the hairline is itchy, a sheitel macher can sew on some tape to make it more comfortable, but don't buy it if you notice it's itchy.

Having a flattering sheitel makes all the difference in how I feel about myself. And a bad sheitel, well, that can be pretty demoralizing. Good luck!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels