Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Israel- where should we go?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 9:43 pm
I'll be in Israel with my sister. I have about 2 weeks- where should I go?
I'm starting off in Yerushalayim from about midweek and will be there at least till that Shabbos. I'd like to spend the next week "sight seeing".
what do you suggest?
Tfas? Tiveria?.....
also, has anyone tried the "segway tours"? A friend told me about a Tel Aviv one she did and loved it, and someone else told me they have a Yerushalayim one.
TIA!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 10:28 pm
There is so much to do in Israel!
Why don't you purchase a tour guide or google 'Israel attractions'?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 10:30 pm
I can Smile but you guys are real people who would know better.
I live in NY and can tell you a million places you "can" go but not everything you find online is actually worthwhile.

joy613

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 11:01 pm
I heard the segway tours at Ir David is really good. I don't have contact info for you though.
There is tons to do, you should be more specific about what kinds of things you like to do.

Mekomos kedoshim- Tzfas- the cemetary, teveriah- a bunch of kevarim, meron- Rashbi. Kever Rachel, Mearas Hamachpela, kosel tunnels, old city tours, ...

Nature- banias, ein gedi, Tel dan water hike, madrasa water hike, There are lots of nature reserves and beautiful parks.

History- Tzfas- the old city, Masada,...

Activites- kayaking in the yarden, atving in moshav mishmar hayarden (or many other locations), jeeping in midbar yehuda, Tzuk Manara-has rapelling, cable cars, zipgliding, alpine slides. banana boating in the kineret...

Museums- Diapspora museum (tel aviv I think?) I heard it's really good, Israel Museum...

There is so much more to do. These are just from the top of my head.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 11:10 pm
thanks so much!
we prob. would do some of those activities. I actually went rapelling with some friends when I was in seminary. that was fun!
I love nature things, hikes, but I'd have to run that by my sister.

fam.marks

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 7:59 am
do the Tunnel Tour. you have to make a reservation.
Go to Kever Shmuel in Ramot. Take a tour of Hevron. The City of David is great to do and down the street from the enterance to the Kotel.
In Kfar Saba is Kever Binyamin and you can the go to the beach in Netanya separate swimminh. Tsfat is a must visiting the cemetary and candle factory. Teveria is good too with Rabbi Meir Baal Hanes and the mothers, Tziporah, Yocheved, Bilha, Zilpa Rabbi Akiva and his wife Rachel.Dead Sea is very hot now.Kever Rochel is a bus ride 163 from Centeral Bus Station.Good museums in Yerushalayim. TA has nothing important. Haifa has boat and Cave of Eliyahu. and Mt Carmel.
Hope this helps.

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 8:09 am
fam.marks wrote:
do the Tunnel Tour. you have to make a reservation.
Go to Kever Shmuel in Ramot. Take a tour of Hevron. The City of David is great to do and down the street from the enterance to the Kotel.
In Kfar Saba is Kever Binyamin and you can the go to the beach in Netanya separate swimminh. Tsfat is a must visiting the cemetary and candle factory. Teveria is good too with Rabbi Meir Baal Hanes and the mothers, Tziporah, Yocheved, Bilha, Zilpa Rabbi Akiva and his wife Rachel.Dead Sea is very hot now.Kever Rochel is a bus ride 163 from Centeral Bus Station.Good museums in Yerushalayim. TA has nothing important. Haifa has boat and Cave of Eliyahu. and Mt Carmel.
Hope this helps.

I wouldn't go so far as to put to that way. The Eretz Yisrael Museum is very nice, as is the Palmach Museum. Old Jaffo is very interesting and beautiful as well. Not as interesting (IMO) as the Jerusalem area, but you can definitely find what to do there. Smile

kb

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 8:25 am
If you're only here for a week, maybe consider doing a TOUR of one of these places, rather than going on your own.

Netanya you can do by yourself, as it's just a beach. But Tiveria... if you want to visit all those kevarim, first of all, they're not all that near each other, and you have to know where they are. I'd recommend a tour for such a thing, rather than try it yourself.

I've been to Tzfas quite a few times, and I would never say it's a must. It's a nice city, but didn't find it anything special. And the candle factory REALLY didn't impress me.

I actually really enjoyed Beit Hatefutzot in Tel Aviv (the diaspora museum). Rosh Hanikra is REALLY nice, but the traveling takes over the entire day! Ir David is not bad, but if you were here in seminary you probably did that already.

There are tons of hikes that you can do - both in and out of water - which would probably be more enjoyable for you, based on what you wrote. I don't know much about that though. Sorry.

And Tiveria (and probably every other beach city, too) has boating, and possibly parasailing and all the other water sports - again, don't have info for you about that though.

Good luck.

Last edited by kb on Thu, Aug 02 2012, 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 8:31 am
Do you have acar? You could go up north and hike in Nahal Yehudia. Great hike. Bring a swimsuit.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 9:10 am
You could make an imamother meet ...

Tablepoetry

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 9:15 am
Sachne - by Gan Hashlosha - near Beit She'an. It's several natural pools/springs, some very deep, all with cool water, so refreshing in the summer. You can swim there, the pools are huge. (It is mixed). If you stay in the shallower parts, little fish will come and nip at your feet, giving you a natural pedicure (I hear people pay lots of money for a 'fish manicure' in Tel Aviv).

Really a stunning place. One of my favorite tiyulim. Best to go now, as it's not so crowded - it's very popular with Arabs and they will come once the Ramadan is over.

Karnash

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 12:02 pm
There is SO much to do in Tel Aviv - The port, shuk hacarmel, the arts and crafts fair on Nachlat Binyamin on Tuesdays and Fridays, the (separate) beach, Yaffo - the old city, the flea market, Tel-Aviv museum, Eretz Israel museum, Beit Hatfutzot, the Agam fountain in Deizengof center has been re-furbished and is operating again, a tour of Bauhaus architecture in Tel-Aviv, the Old Train Station (refurbished), an evening stroll along the Tayelet.......etc. etc.

curlgirl

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 12:12 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
Sachne - by Gan Hashlosha - near Beit She'an. It's several natural pools/springs, some very deep, all with cool water, so refreshing in the summer. You can swim there, the pools are huge. (It is mixed). If you stay in the shallower parts, little fish will come and nip at your feet, giving you a natural pedicure (I hear people pay lots of money for a 'fish manicure' in Tel Aviv).

Really a stunning place. One of my favorite tiyulim. Best to go now, as it's not so crowded - it's very popular with Arabs and they will come once the Ramadan is over.

I'm sure it isn't- beware! That area is boiling hot in the summer months.

Tablepoetry

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 12:33 pm
curlgirl wrote:
Tablepoetry wrote:

I'm sure it isn't- beware! That area is boiling hot in the summer months.

You're right, Beit She'an is boiling hot....but if you go in the water, you cool off right away. Very pleasant, actually.
Trust me, once the ramadan is over, it will be VERY crowded.

racz

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 2:17 pm
if you have a car there is the underground bullet factory in Rechavot it is where they produced teh bullets before the war of indepence you need to make a reservation for an english tour

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrar......html

Project Leket is also in Rechovot, you pick produce for Tzedakah, we did both in the same day
http://www.leket.org.il/english/text/309.aspx
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics