Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Joining the Extremely Limited Diet Group

Seraph

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 5:35 pm
At the encouragement of my doctor, I'll be joining the ranks of those of you with extremely limited diets. As it is, I don't eat gluten or dairy, or quinoa or oats or white sugar or coconut or cabbage or sunflower seeds or brown rice (I can have those last four in limited form only)... and now because my baby has developed a rash and I'm nursing her, the doc agreed with me that I should try to cut out corn and eggs as well to see if that helps. At the very least, to try cutting them out for two weeks, then after that, try out one of those, and then the other, seeing if the rash comes back. And after that, if the rash doesnt return, to try again giving those foods to her.

So at the very least, we're talking 2-3 weeks of no gluten dairy quinoa oats sugar corn eggs coconut sunflower seeds cabbage brown rice... and since we're trying to be frugal, not having so much chicken or fish, but I'll have to be doing some chicken, just not for every meal...

Three meals a day, with enough carbs, and enough protein.
I have a feeling that nearly all my meals will be white rice or potatoes with lentils or chicken... Eeeek... That'll get very boring, very quickly...

Just looking for support, and also ideas.

(I do have rice noodles, but they're very bland. My standard gf noodles I generally use are corn based...)

September June

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 6:37 pm
I admire your self-control Seraph.
I'm thinking, "what on earth is left for her to eat?"

Seraph

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 6:45 pm
All the vegetables in the whole wide world other than cabbage, all the fruit out there, rice, millet, buckwheat, teff, potatoes, sweet potatoes, legumes, nuts, seeds, fish, meat, chicken. Yea, that's it.

Tova

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 7:34 pm
Just out of curiosity, why can you have white rice but not brown rice?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 7:36 pm
Elimination diets are really a stab in the dark. Why don't you do allergy testing?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 9:22 pm
Allergy testing is not very conclusive for many either. Even the allergists I spoke to admitted there is a lot of trial and error involved and the tests they do cannot be deemed authoritative. In addition, some people are not allergic to substances but can still be sensitive and therefore all the allergy testing in the world will not show them what their body cannot handle but their body still may not be able to handle it.

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:48 am
Tova wrote:
It bothers my stomach, and apparently I'm not the only one. Its apparently one of those harder to digest grains, which is why people like Mark Sisson (from the Paleo Diet) says white rice is one of the few ok grains, but you should avoid all else.

mandksima

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:56 am
Seraph wrote:
Tova wrote:
It bothers my stomach, and apparently I'm not the only one. Its apparently one of those harder to digest grains, which is why people like Mark Sisson (from the Paleo Diet) says white rice is one of the few ok grains, but you should avoid all else.

That's good to know as I'm following something closest to Paleo and the only thing I want to eat that I'm currently not is sushi so maybe I'll have it as a treat for my anniversary.

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 2:01 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Elimination diets are really a stab in the dark. Why don't you do allergy testing?
Its not a complete stab in the dark- I already know that I'm sensitive to all the stuff that I already am off.
As for eggs and corn, I'm not taking a complete stab in the dark by eliminating those- my baby recently started eating solids and those are the only two highly allergenic stuff she's eaten (I never gave her eggs... but her brother did) (I don't give her nightshades, fish, gluten, dairy or nuts) and I noticed that after she ate those stuff, she got the rash. And since I cut out those stuff a few days ago, the rash appears to be fading.

I also know that both my husband and I are sensitive to eggs in large amounts, and my husband also appears to be sensitive to corn.

Not a stab in the dark, but an educated guess.

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 2:32 am
mandksima wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Tova wrote:

That's good to know as I'm following something closest to Paleo and the only thing I want to eat that I'm currently not is sushi so maybe I'll have it as a treat for my anniversary.
go enjoy your sushi!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics