Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
I think I'm being scammed!! Help!!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 1:11 am
I'm moving from one country to another and I'm selling every single thing pretty much as it's not worth it for me to take it. I already sold most of my big stuff, major appliances and furniture. I posted the rest of my stuff online and someone emailed me that he wants to know the exact list of what's for sale and the prices. So I emailed him the prices with the totals. He emails me back (within 10 minutes)

Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me, Am a marine engineer busy sailing, I will take it for $1284 including PayPal surcharges since I am interested in the immediate purchase. Did you want the transfer in USD? I just moved to United Kingdom where this is needed and I will be making use of my Shipper to have this picked up from you and have it delivered to me. Further arrangements will be made with you in regards to the pick up once I have paid you.

I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since I won't be able to see this in person, what's the PayPal email to send funds to in order for me to pay you ASAP. I hope to read from you soon.

Thanks
Ben.

Then I emailed him back that I said the total was $1184 and he said

Quote:
I will be paying $1,284 for everything. Please remover the advert from the site. I will also need your PayPal email so I can make the transfer right now.

Regards,
Ben

Does this sound normal? Telling me to take down my for sale ads? I'm scared to give him my email address and have him transfer money into my paypal account but I really do need the money and would be happy to just sell everything to one person instead of being busy with it for hte next month. FOr some reason I'm getting a bad feeling about this. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks!

Liba

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 1:18 am
It sounds like a scam to me too. I wouldn't do it. Sad

smss

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 1:18 am
Idk. It sounds like he's been looking desperately for something like this and doesn't want someone else to snatch it out from under his nose.

Tell him you'll take down the ads once you get the transfer. Why are you scared to give him your Paypal info? Isn't that how eBay works for payment?

kb

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 1:26 am
It sounds like a scam to me also, but how can it be? If he's giving you the money, what can go wrong? I know - I'm naive, but I honestly can't figure out what I'm missing here.

goforit

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 1:31 am
please be carefull. if anyone wants to pay more than you asked it stinks. when he sends the paymen he can send you a link to a fake paypal page. make sure you don't put your email and password in. open a new page and log into paypal. also don't give any items till you transffer the money out of your paypal account. Because if he gives a bad credit or bank account paypal will take back the money. good luck

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 1:32 am
There's a scam where the person paying pays too much. Say he said he'll pay $1,284 - he sends "by mistake" 2284. When you tell him, he thanks you and asks you to send the extra 1000 to him. Meanwhile the payment he made bounces or something. Can someone's PayPal payment bounce or be claimed back?

fiddle

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 2:20 am
well paypal has extra charges, so assuming it covers all that with transferring, thats fine. theres no bank info, just an email address that you give him. your paypal has nothing to do with your bank.

you send him your email address, wait for payment and if you get it, transfer it out.
otherwise you dont lose, your not paying him.

ask him for more info. full name, number, passport number and address where he is going to, verify with a reference if you need and get a written email saying what he wants.

hop613

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 3:55 am
SCAM. Run away from this person.

Anyone offering to pay extra, the out of the country thing, the shipping...SCAM SCAM SCAM

ewa-jo

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 4:21 am
shalhevet wrote:
Can someone's PayPal payment bounce or be claimed back?

You can dispute a paypal payment for non-receipt of goods or do a credit card chargeback for the same reason.

Unless you can prove the stuff was sent/received, then Paypal will take the money back ASAP.

SO, if you sent by mail and you have a tracking number, Paypal will take your side, but if you delivered goods in person, then you can't prove that they were received and you lose your stuff and the money.

Liba

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 4:26 am
It is also possible for someone (people do it) to set up a paypal account with stolen bank/credit card information. Once the rightful owner of the account realizes what is going on the charges are disputed, the person selling loses the money and there is a huge legal mess to follow.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 5:00 am
Scam! Don't even answer.

As soon as you See someone capitalizing Inappropriate words you Know it's a scam.

Besides, wifi connections for Sailors busy sailing the deep blue sea Are pretty spotty. His Story stinks.

Wink

I know you're desperate, but craigslist is full of spammers like this. There are so many things he can do. He can even send you a fake paypal link that asks you to verify your bank information.

DON'T deal with him. He's a pro and there's no way for you to win this. It'll just waste your time, and perhaps your money, and cause you heartache.

overthehill

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 5:05 am
As others have said, do not even have further correspondence with him.

poorly written grammar/english, out of country location, the fact that hes offering you more than you are asking. most people try to bargain down a price.

RUN AWAY!!!!!!!

GreenEyes26

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 5:07 am
SCAM SCAM SCAM!! I tried selling some things on Craigslist and actually, CL has a special section for how to spot scammers. One BIG tipoff that they mention is someone who will send a "shipper" to pick it up for them. This is a TOTAL scam. DO NOT GIVE HIM INFORMATION! Delete and IGNORE. I got a TON of these while selling stuff on CL.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 7:14 am
I had a similar experience- it started off similar, pretty basic but a little weird. Then the guy wanted refunds for the extra money he gave, demanding his payment blah bla blah. He threatened to report me (I never accepted money from him). I told him "please report me and they will obviously see you are a scammer and then I could be done with this ridiculous correspondence." He didn't e-mail me back.
Also, in the beginning his emails were cordial, almost like a script. Once I started "changing" the script he wrote totally different, bad grammar, etc. They get these scripts online.
Pointer- anyone who mentions anything about overseas, in whatever context, just ignore. No matter what. Even CL says this. I wish I read the warning page first.
Hatzlacha finding a good buyer! It will happen!

justforfun87

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 7:26 am
I have sold and bought probably close to 100 things off craigslist including my dog. This is DEFF a scam, move on. This is the most typical scam yet...I am in other country, I don't have access....blah blah.....paypal. Don't sell to anybody unless you make a few correspondance via phone and you feel comfortable.

Sherri

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 7:44 am
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....34642

alpidarkomama

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 7:50 pm
Yes, hit the delete button. It's a very common scam.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 11:33 pm
Thanks everyone! I did not reply to the email and haven't heard from him. Oh well, it was nice to think that I'd just be able to sell e/t to one person and not have to deal with it.

Shuly

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 3:39 pm
I just advertised something on Janglo and got a similar scam email:

Thanks for getting back to me, Am a marine engineer busy sailing, I will take it for ILS2000 including PayPal surcharges since I am interested in the immediate purchase. I just moved to United Kingdom where this is needed and I will be making use of my Shipper to have this picked up from you and have it delivered to me. Further arrangements will be made with you in regards to the pick up once I have paid you.

I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since I won't be able to see this in person, what's the PayPal email to send funds to in order for me to pay you ASAP. I hope to read from you soon.

Thanks
Roland

lilacdreams

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 3:46 pm
pls write to Janglo admin and post publicly - this is terrible!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating