Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
One year old can't have dairy

amother

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 8:15 am
I just found out that my 11 month old can't process caseine, hence no dairy. We had only just started him on it in order to do the test as his older brother has the same thing. But I took my big boy off at 2.5 yrs old, not so young. I am still nursing but I was planning to stop at some point in the next few months. So what now? I am concerned about him getting enough fat and calcium in that crucial second year. Has anyone been through this? Did you give your baby another fortified milk? My big boy drinks almond milk but really just because he was used to milk in a bottle. The baby doesn't take a bottle and barely drinks out of his cup- seems to get more on his shirt. I was thinking coconut milk might be good for the fat. Does he need to drink calories/ fat? Is it enough to make sure he has avocado/ eggs/ meat every day? Anyone know how much protein and fat a baby needs a day at this age?
Of course I am talking to a doctor and would go to a nutritionist but want to hear from people who have dealt with this.

ElTam

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 9:08 am
Depending on his allergy, you may have to go off dairy as well. Enough of the cow's milk protein can pass into your milk to cause a problem.

Before you go with rice, coconut, soy, or almond milk, I would ask for a blood test to make sure he isn't allergic to soy or nuts. Those are very common allergies, and more likely in a dairy allergic kid.

We used rice and coconut because my baby is also allergic to soy and nuts.

It's also the calcium issue, not just fat/calories. And Vitamin D.

spring13

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 12:11 pm
Consider fortified OJ. My dd is fine with dairy but for the 1st year of her life that she was able to drink milk, she refused to. The doctor said that OJ with added calcium and Vit D was ok (although we did give her cheese and other dairy). You can definitely get plenty (as in, enough) of fat, calcium, and vitamins from other sources: it just pays to be conscious of what foods provide those nutrients. There's lots of info online, but I'd say it's smart to talk to a nutritionist, it will probably simplify the process for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics