Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Small person, large presence

amother

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 2:35 pm
I'm a brand new teacher and will be starting high school this year. I didn't think of this before, but now I'm feeling nervous about it. I am short- like under 5' short- and most of the students are probably going to be taller than me. How can I make sure I command a large presence despite my small stature? I have a loud voice, I'm not concerned about that. More about the kids not thinking I'm a pushover just because I don't cut an imposing figure. Thanks.

Happy18

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 2:47 pm
First a question is it a boys, girls or coed school?

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 3:10 pm
You have to BE it. A powerful voice helps, but it's all about personality. I don't think it's anything anyone can teach you. Firmness, assertiveness, being consistent, knowing your stuff, never letting them see you sweat--nobody can teach you that. BTW It's not about being loud, it's about being in control so you don't have to be loud.

FWIW the two most awesomely in-control teachers I ever met were both well under five feet, and one of them doesn't weigh 100 lbs. in a winter coat. Force of personality--I've known one of them since she was a kid and she was the bossy type even back then.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 3:15 pm
Happy18- coed

Zaq- thanks! I do have those qualities- that's why I've chosen to teach high school- just need to make sure I stick to the program!

Happy18

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 3:17 pm
The best advice I can give is decide on your rules and stick to them. Consistency is key maintaining student respect. Also confidence in what you are teaching is essential.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 3:40 pm
I think respecting your students is the key to maintaining student respect. It's those teachers who try to assert their authority to let the students know who's boss who lose their students' respect.

Happy18

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 3:53 pm
5*Mom wrote:
I think respecting your students is the key to maintaining student respect. It's those teachers who try to assert their authority to let the students know who's boss who lose their students' respect.

I agree that you need to respect students, but you can still assert authority and respect students. Finding the balance is key.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 3:57 pm
Happy18 wrote:
5*Mom wrote:

I agree that you need to respect students, but you can still assert authority and respect students. Finding the balance is key.

What I mean by that is the teacher who comes in looking like she needs to prove herself displays her insecurity, and insecurity is the death knell of respect for a teacher.

Happy18

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 4:00 pm
5*Mom wrote:
Happy18 wrote:
5*Mom wrote:

What I mean by that is the teacher who comes in looking like she needs to prove herself displays her insecurity, and insecurity is the death knell of respect for a teacher.

Ok now I get it.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 1:48 pm
How did one of my students put it? "She such a good teacher.... We need more teachers like her who aren't afraid of our class..." This class had a name as a difficult class, but I didn't get fazed. BH I went on to have a great relationship with them!

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 5:34 pm
The book "Tools for Teaching" by Fred Jones has some great, practical tips for creating presence. It's usually thought of as such a vague construct but he really gets technical about how to use body language and other techniques to establish respect.

agreer

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 6:43 pm
I'm a former teacher and am also really short... probably around your height. I taught high school and most of my students were taller.

When I taught, I almost always wore heels. It'll make you a bit more confident and command respect. I also always wore makeup, wore nicer clothes (no denim! no long skirts, always tights) and did my hair/shaitel nicely. Your self-care will show the students that you care about yourself and respect yourself, and you will automatically have more "presence".

I was very into rules, procedures, etc. My favorite teaching book is "The First Days of School" by Wong and the author stresses how important first impressions are. You need to be strict, serious, and on your game for the first MONTH. Do not let a single student get away with aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnyyyyything, no matter how small it may seem.

EX: On my "classroom procedure" sheet that I gave out on the first day of school, one of my rules was that no student may get up without asking, neither for the bathroom or for throwing out garbage. Of course, a student forgot the second week and stood up to throw something out. I stopped her immediately and reminded her of the rule. Honestly, I don't care, but having and enforcing rules really help set the expectation of decorum.

You'll be standing and they will be sitting, so during class, YOU will be taller. Don't worry about your height. So many of my best teachers were short!

I don't buy into this "respect the student" nonsense. Respect yourself, and be strict. Your students will fall into line. Don't be afraid of them. Most students appreciate boundaries. DO NOT try to have relationships with then in the beginning of the year. Let them seek you out later.

Finally - you better have solid lesson plans and know what you are doing for every minute of class time, esp. if you are a first-year teacher. If you can't manage that, no amount of extra height will help...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics