Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Any other Binah readers also math people?

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 1:54 pm
Am I the only one who noticed/cared that in "I'm Counting to Ten/Measuring up," the article about the metric system, it said "and the weight of one cubic meter of water would equal a kilo." ?

Very Happy My kids needed to know what I was frowning about.

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 2:06 pm
Very Happy I am the only one? A liter weighs a kilo, a cubic meter of water weighs 1,000 kilo.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 3:02 pm
Oops.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 3:15 pm
Ah, those crazy americans. They insist on sticking to their inches and feet and pounds and tons and refuse to care about the metric system, though they sometimes at least pretend to try. LOL Wink

What bothered me lately was a little snippet in Ami magazine that was about foods that make you fat. I was shocked to see avocados make the list. As everyone knows (or so I thought) avocados contain a lot of fat, but they are not "fattening."

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 3:18 pm
Avocados are quite fatty, but it's the right kind of fat and they pack a nutritional punch to go with it. I object more to the blanket equating of "fat" with "unhealthy" or "low fat" with "healthy." It all depends what you're trying to achieve in your diet. Yes, if you have a fat problem maybe avocados are not your fruit of choice, but they're great for the average person, especially since we don't usually consume them in vast quantities. Better to cut down on low-fat but high-sugar salad dressings or whatever.

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 3:24 pm
I am still disturbed by the Family First travel tips that said to order everyone children's meals when they fly. I have never heard of kosher kids meals on any flight except ElAl, and even there the mehadrin meals don't come in a kids version.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 3:27 pm
They're probably culling many of their tips from random websites... sigh

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 3:30 pm
That is what it looked like. I was shocked that no one wrote in (or at least they didn't get published) and they didn't make an erratum notice the next issue.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 3:33 pm
I would love it if when they posted random tips they would include the source. At least then I would know that mamalovesknitting.blogspot.com is the misinformed one who thinks eating avocados is what's made her gain so much weight. Or maybe this would actually compel them to only include tips from reputable .org or .edu sites...ya think?

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 3:36 pm
Liba wrote:
That is what it looked like. I was shocked that no one wrote in (or at least they didn't get published) and they didn't make an erratum notice the next issue.
I would assume no one noticed. Assuming you're talking about the kid meals thing, probably no one had ever thought to ask before reading this so they never found out that it's not offered from the kosher caterers. And by "no one" I mean "very few clever individuals" because obviously you did do your homework Wink

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 3:38 pm
Very Happy The tips came out right after I had booked flights for my family. We had checked the kosher catering on many airlines before we bought our tickets... I am sure that that is why it struck me as such bad bad advice for a frum magazine to give.

ally

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 3:42 pm
Liba wrote:
I am still disturbed by the Family First travel tips that said to order everyone children's meals when they fly. I have never heard of kosher kids meals on any flight except ElAl, and even there the mehadrin meals don't come in a kids version.

Well, we got the kids meal on ElAl. Breakfast consisted of: Shoko in a bag, sugar cereal and chocolate pudding. Well, Thank you very much. Do you want to take my bouncing off the walls kid through customs and immigration?

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 3:44 pm
Very Happy Can you imagine if you had ordered kids meals for everyone like they had suggested? You could have bounced off the walls in customs along with the children. Very Happy

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 4:27 pm
Liba wrote:

Yes they do. We had them once or twice. Although I will say that they were not worth ordering; my kids didn't eat anything on the tray. I was really happy that they didn't even want to try the absolutely revolting looking sugar drink.

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 4:29 pm
sarahd wrote:
Liba wrote:

Yes they do. We had them once or twice. Although I will say that they were not worth ordering; my kids didn't eat anything on the tray.

Awwww we missed them then. Very Happy I tried to order them when we flew ElAl and they told me they didn't exist. I guess things have changed!!

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 4:49 pm
Believe me, you didn't miss anything.

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 8:55 pm
Yes, unfortunately often the authors of these articles take info from random websites. I was asked to proof a financial tips feature for one of the magazines and pointed out my disagreements with the blanket statements (that weren't necessarily false but weren't true all of the time, or weren't the most recommended advice and were therefore misleading). It's a problem when people that have no training/background in certain areas are writing articles that require more than surface-level knowledge. In this case I was asked to rewrite the whole feature and had to decline (was nice enough that I offered to proof on a volunteer basis). It's a frustration I deal with (good for you for the catch Liba. I don't think in the metrics system so I wouldn't have caught that).

ally

Post Mon, Sep 03 2012, 4:17 am
Liba wrote:
Very Happy Can you imagine if you had ordered kids meals for everyone like they had suggested? You could have bounced off the walls in customs along with the children. Very Happy

I think there was a chocolate spread also. Seriously, it was ridiculous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room