Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Such a thing as 'Haredi' but no socks? If so who holds this?
Previous  1  2

justcallmeima

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 5:27 pm
Every time I read a thread like this I thank the Good L-rd I live waaay out of town. What a ridiculous notion. "reapply after the mother has been wearing socks for a year". * but if you make a really large donation your mother can wear or not wear whatever she wants*

rovacat

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 4:01 pm
5*Mom wrote:
evie, rovacat and shabri: Do the chareidi schools your/their children attend require the mothers to wear socks? Are they aware that some mothers don't wear socks and are they okay with that? Would they knowingly accept a family in which the mother/girls don't wear socks? IME, unless you're way out of town, probably not. Where I am, even the most open-minded cheder (which is hardly considered chareidi by Israeli chareidim) uses does-the-mother-wear-socks as one of its acceptance criteria, and they've told families to reapply after the mothers have been wearing socks for at least a year. In chareidi schools, they hold and teach as halacha that covering the legs with socks is required.

My son is in a really charedi cheder. They did a check on us and we had to be approved of by the vaad. I guess we did ok because we were approved. They never asked me if I wear socks. I dont even remember what I wore to the inrerview. It was a non issue. They probably just assumed that I do because everyone else there does.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 9:02 pm
GetReal wrote:
amother wrote:
I thought Chabad does not require the lower leg to be covered.

Not true. Chabad holds that the entire leg must be covered.

I have been to Chabad and the rebetzens do not cover their leg below the knee. I know three separate rebetzens in three separate states. I was also instructed by a chabad rebitzen to only cover from the knees up.

ROFL

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 9:24 pm
I don't think that the women at Har Sinai wore socks with their sandals , so therefore I also don't wear socks.

GetReal

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 9:32 pm
amother wrote:
GetReal wrote:
amother wrote:

I have been to Chabad and the rebetzens do not cover their leg below the knee. I know three separate rebetzens in three separate states. I was also instructed by a chabad rebitzen to only cover from the knees up.

Are you sure the women you saw weren't wearing sheer pantyhose? This is halacha according to chabad rabbanim. Maybe the rebbetzin told you to do this because she felt that this is what you were ready for?

September June

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 9:43 pm
ROFL wrote:
I don't think that the women at Har Sinai wore socks with their sandals , so therefore I also don't wear socks.

They probably wore long robes/dresses that came down to their ankles.

sequoia

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 9:46 pm
September June wrote:
ROFL wrote:

I wear skirts down to my ankles.

That is not the point. Chareidi society forbids long skirts.

ROFL

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 9:46 pm
September June wrote:
ROFL wrote:

As I do to, but my toes do show out always, I only wear tights from nov to march

September June

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 9:49 pm
sequoia wrote:
September June wrote:
ROFL wrote:

I wear skirts down to my ankles.

That is not the point. Chareidi society forbids long skirts.

Shrug. Not where I live.
Not in most yeshivish/"chareidi" places in the US either.

Last edited by September June on Sat, Sep 22 2012, 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 9:51 pm
GetReal wrote:
amother wrote:
GetReal wrote:
amother wrote:

Are you sure the women you saw weren't wearing sheer pantyhose? This is halacha according to chabad rabbanim. Maybe the rebbetzin told you to do this because she felt that this is what you were ready for?

The Rebetzin may have told me below the knees because she felt this is what I was ready for. She said that the elbows, collar bone, hair and knees must be covered.

The Rebetzens I saw were wearing sandles as were their married daughters. I clearly saw toes.

eatingbagels

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 12:36 am
Ruchel wrote:
Totally common. Modern charedi, yeshivish, etc. They're everywhere especially in summer...

About modern yeshivish and ALIA/being in ISRAEL, please do a search on ORLOWEK or google aliya rabbi Orlowek.

Modern chareidi? I never heard that term before. Is this a new thing or have I been living in a cave?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions