Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
My daughter wants a best friend

amother

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 11:26 am
She often comes home sad, doesn't get invited out, and doesn't have anyone "special" in her class. When they team up, she doesn't have a partner...

How do I help her? I invite people over for her. She isn't disliked by her classmates and is included in parties, just lacks a special friend.

It is lousy to be the odd man out in groups, sitting on the bus and so on.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 11:48 am
I know. I had the same thing with my daughter. Then she found friends with whom there were conflicts. Now she is in a teens group and seems to be making friends there. She's shy though and won't ever have the groupies around her like my younger one does.

Is there any kind of activity she is particularly interested in? A common interest can spark a better relationship. I don't know how big her class is but it could be she is the "odd one out" because her interest are different. Not that there is something wrong or bad about her or the others, but if most everyone else likes comedy and she is into poetry (for a wacky example) well she would find it difficult to fit in. Even if she remains the odd one out in school she'll know there is that special friend she can call and just talk to.

She might do better with a different age group as well. Some children naturally get along better with older/younger children.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 12:42 pm
Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of getting her into an activity. I am trying to think of what activity I can handle! I don't want to over commit - as I work full time - and well, you know!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children