Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
H E L P

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 31 2012, 3:14 pm
How can 12th graders be so immature, mock or push the good students (put paint on the coat of one!! O_o), throw stuff on teachers they dislike, refuse to "write a lot", beg that I "give 18 to everyone"... these girls can vote!!

Not that they were perfect in my times in public school, but this is a smallish class in a Jewish religious school... Sad

All teachers, and other mechanchim, tell me better too harsh than too nice, make a korban of one so others get the message... I thought it was the haredi way (I got thrown out of a BY for being unable to teach so) but this is a community school; the Modern ones say just the same- actually so does my nonJewish doc! Nowadays you gotta be 'scary'. And you can't carry "dead weights" or make yourself sick of worry. Several teachers hinted, or said directly, that if it's stressing I quit and they'll deal with not being ready to graduate.

My friend who teaches in a chassidishe school tells me you gotta bash and "aggress" and "humiliate" them so they fear you. I'm not like that.

I have to yell so the good ones in the back hear me (places are mandatory like that) and they also get harassed by meanies and are often afraid to participate. I have a hard time seeing who did what and they are afraid to tell me. That's another issue.

Do I just kick out anyone speaking repeatedly, or what?? I'm not the cold-scary or explosive-throwy kind... I also have a high level program to follow...

Please no bashing, I'm too tired for that Wink

morah

Post Wed, Oct 31 2012, 4:36 pm
It's very common for seniors in high school to regress to preschooler behavior. They suddenly get scared upon the realization that they're about to be real adults now, and many react by acting like children while they still can. Maybe later if I have time, I can write out something in the way of advice. For now, bonne chance!

all is good

Post Wed, Oct 31 2012, 11:37 pm
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I teach 10th grade, my 3rd year at it now. my1st was obviously hardest discipline wise, til I learned what works & what doesn't... I tried minuses on the next test and detention with the principal... my 2nd year was much better, b"H. I learned that I have to carry out whatever I say and show I mean business, and sometimes that means making a korban out of s/o, especially in the beginning when u dont know who's who. BUT I am NOT the type to do the embarassing thing either. so what did I do? "If I have to stop the lesson again, the girl/s who is interrupting will have to leave and she will not be able to come to class tomorrow w/o 2 handwritten copies of the entire chapter's notes." and they test you of course, but I stuck to my gun and it happened a number of times (I teach many classes), and I wrote down in my little notebook the girls' name & mad sure to ask them for it the next day b4 you start class. I know a 12th grade teacher who did this (who I got the idea from) and she made them write the whole constitution!! hopefully they will see u mean business... loads of luck, I hope things get better. I totally feel for you as I have been there before.
p.s. do you walk around your classroom while you teach? it's a great thing to do, and will help you with some of the problems you posted.

all is good

Post Wed, Oct 31 2012, 11:40 pm
...another thought... talking one on one to some of the instigators can do wonders.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics