Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What kind of accomodations do you look for in Israel?

MotherOf4

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 9:53 am
Those of you who have visited Israel and have stayed somewhere other than by friends or relatives, would you be able to answer a few questions for me?

When visiting Israel, what kind of accommodations do you usually look for? What are the features or amenities that are the most important to you? Do you have a favourite place to stay?

Thanks for your help!

vicki

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 5:34 am
I've stayed at the Prima Kings in JM because of its location. The accomodations worked for me but they are simple. The food is good and plentiful.
I stayed for one Shabbat with my son learning in Yeshiva, left dh and other kids home. We had a "suite" which was reasonably priced.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 5:54 am
Here are the (for a fee) types of accommodations available:
(1) Full service hotel. Ranging from about 3 to 5 stars. But no guarantee that the stars will actually reflect what you get. Standard is bed and breakfast, but usually dinner (at least) is available for an extra fee. You get a room which is [b]much smaller[/b] than the standard U.S. room (I am assuming you are from there) with either a king size bed, 2 twins, or 2 queens (in my experience). Usually they will allow up to 4 in a room, but some places only allow 3 (Hilton Tel Aviv comes to mind) and others may allow 3 kids (Club Hotels, for example). You will have a TV (nicer hotels may have 2), some places will have a mini fridge (you can usually ask to have one placed in the room but sometimes it costs), a hot water kettle (usually), a bathroom with shower/bathtub (depending on the place), sometimes a blow dryer, sometimes a safe. Hotels may or may not have pools/indoor pools. They may or may not have exercise rooms, spa services, restaurants etc. It all depends on the hotel and where it is. Some hotels have "suites" but don't think along the lines of Homewood Suites. They will be smaller and not as well equipped.
(2) Rental apartment. You get what you pay for/what is provided in the contract. Perfect foe DIYers.
(3) Kibbutz guest houses/tzimmers/B&B rooms in town. Some Kibbutzim have accommodations which fall under hotel category. Others have hotels plus other options such as bungalows, or only bungalows. You have to find out what you are getting at each place - no two are exactly alike. Ditto zimmers, which are single units and can be big enough from 2 people and up, depending on the zimmer. Meal offerings will vary with the place you go to. Breakfast is usually included, but you have to make sure. I am not sure what B&Bs give you cause I've never stayed at one but I assume a room and a bathroom and breakfast.
(4) "Field Schools" and Hostels. These are usually dormitory-type accomodations, with bunk beds and/or single beds in the room, usually for at least 4 people. They may or may not have an en-suite bathroom/shower but these days I think they usually do. Some have on-premises shuls and cafeterias offering breakfast and perhaps other meals. Many people take these types of places for Simcha Shabbatot such as Chattan, Bar Mitzva etc. because they are less expensive and you can get more people in a room.
(5) Camping. 'nuff said.

I may have missed something.

shaini

Post Sat, Nov 03 2012, 7:48 am
I usually go for rental apartments. It also depends in what area you're wanting to stay. Some of the suburbs in Jerusalem don't have hotels close by. If one is able to find a kosher/shabbat friendly apartment to stay in it can give you more freedom than a hotel but you then have to provide your own meals.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 5:03 am
We rent apartments, since there are no hotels in the area that can accomodate our family. When my husband goes alone he either stays at a relative or else rents a cheap hotel room ~$60/night in the area he wants to be in. He doesn't usually spend more than two days under those circumstances.

shaini

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 11:01 pm
Added info to my earlier e-mail.
I always make sure there is a microwave. That way one can always heat/cook some food, even if it means kashering the microwave or double wrapping food. Also WiFi and depending on time of year air-conditioning. I pefer one with a shabbat clock, but they're hard to find.

I'm curious as to why you ask since you live in Israel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions