Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Bonus - How to Thank

amother

Post Fri, Aug 03 2012, 11:53 am
The title says it all Smile I just got an unexpected bonus. I would like to show my gratitude, but on the other hand I really would've prefered a raise and would love if I can somehow let them know this in between the lines..

Any ideas on wording - again I am grateful..

TIA!!

sky

Post Fri, Aug 03 2012, 12:31 pm
I would send out an e-mail to your boss and anyone else involved in your bonus (depending on the size of the company and your relationship, you could also include the CEO - in my company we are about 60 employees, so I include him as well) and just say thank you.

I think I'd leave any complaint about a raise out of it and that you should bring it up during a different discussion.

For a raise I would put together a document outlining my achievements for the company and what I have done for them. Then send to my boss it as an attachment to an e-mail and ask him he can setup a meeting to discuss. Be prepared at the meeting to have the amount you'd like to receive, and a reason for that amount in case he asks, you could also that in the document. This way you aren't just asking for a raise, but presenting concrete reasons why you deserve the increase.

sky

Post Fri, Aug 03 2012, 12:50 pm
Also, when you do ask for your raise - you can use the bonus then to your advantage.
In your document - create a section called recognition and include under there your bonus and other positive reviews that enforce your position that you deserve a raise.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 03 2012, 12:54 pm
OP - here

Thanks SKY. So I guess for now I'll just leave it as 'Thank You for the bonus, much appreciated'.

Not sure how to work the raise out.. I'm thinking maybe at the end of the year.. I'm still hoping they'll give me one without asking if you know what I mean Smile I'm just hoping that they don't look at this bonus as an 'instead of a raise'..

Thanks!

de_goldy

Post Fri, Aug 03 2012, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:
OP - here

Thanks SKY. So I guess for now I'll just leave it as 'Thank You for the bonus, much appreciated'.

Not sure how to work the raise out.. I'm thinking maybe at the end of the year.. I'm still hoping they'll give me one without asking if you know what I mean Smile I'm just hoping that they don't look at this bonus as an 'instead of a raise'..

Thanks!

I would definitely recommend writing more than just 'Thank you for the bonus, much appreciated'. Make it at least a couple of lines, include that you enjoy working for the company etc.

sara_s

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 4:15 pm
I would only thank you boss, and senior bosses. Make sure noone else hears of it- they may not have gotten a bonus..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics