Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Schools of Social Work Advice

amother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 6:03 pm
I've decided I want to become a social worker and I'm beginning to look into different options for school - undergrad programs. Can anyone advise me for or against any particular school? I'm debating between LIU, Touro, and NYU. I kind of don't know how to choose. What are some of the pros and cons I should look for? Any advice would be appreciated.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 6:24 pm
I have an MSW (Columbia 2000) so maybe I can help answer this question. I too didn't know how to choose, and applied to all the major schools (Columbia, Wurtzweiler, Fordham, NYU and Hunter) and got into the first 3, and chose (what I thought was) the best from those. Touro wasn't around when I went to school, and I don't know LIU was either, so I can't weigh in on those, but NYU is known to be very clinical in its background (which, depending on what you plan on doing, may be a pro, or not) I work (and have worked) with social workers from all schools, and I'm not sure how much it matters, in terms of how different the curriculae are. I think the most critical learning takes place in the internships. Other things to consider: cost of tuition, commute to/from school, etc. Check out the school websites for course lists. I'm sure no matter which you choose you'll be successful. Good luck!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 6:32 pm
In this economy it is also very important to look at job placement rates from each school. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a little more in terms of hishtadlus toward getting a job...

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:
I've decided I want to become a social worker and I'm beginning to look into different options for school - undergrad programs. Can anyone advise me for or against any particular school? I'm debating between LIU, Touro, and NYU. I kind of don't know how to choose. What are some of the pros and cons I should look for? Any advice would be appreciated.

All three colleges that you mentioned are pretty expensive.
Why wouldn't you go to a city college for a BA?
The schools that you mentioned are all great but so are Brooklyn College and Queens College.
Wouldn't job placement be based on where you completed your Masters as opposed to undergrad??

amother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 10:05 pm
I got into Wurzweiler and NYU both. I chose Wurzweiler because the classes were arranged around the Jewish calendar, they were slightly less expensive, and they offered me a larger scholarship. Those were the issues that were important to me at the time.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 10:38 pm
I went to wurzweiler- very good school but its not undergrad

amother

amother

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics