Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Car seats and coats, how do they fit?!

studying_torah

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 8:19 pm
Over the yrs we have tried various types of infant and child car seats, from diff brands. They all seem to have the same issue: we cannot close the straps w a coat on! We loosened them as much as possible, the seat is supposed to be good up to 40 lb (and my baby is no where close to that) still doesn't fit. Even without his coat on, it's a struggle to get his hands in. What am I doing wrong?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 8:40 pm
maybe theres something blocking the straps, so it FEELS like they are all the way loose, but they really arent. ive used three car seats, and I never had a problem with any of them.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 8:57 pm
YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO PUT BABIES IN CAR SEATS WITH COATS ON. If the coat sufficiently takes up space that the straps don't fit without loosening, it is NOT SAFE to put the coat on between the child and the belt.

There are different options, and I have used all of them.
1) A poncho where you lift the back over the seat so you can buckle.
2) Thinner jackets like fleece with gloves and hats still keep the child warm without the bulk.
3) Put the coat on backwards after buckling in the child, ala a worn blanket.
4) Just leave the coat off in the car.

Today I had 2 kids using option 2, and the rest used option 4. I also have a poncho for colder weather use.

cm

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 9:26 pm
Do not loosen the straps. In the force of a crash when the baby is pressed against the straps, the material of the coat will compress, making the straps very loose and allowing the baby to be ejected from the carseat.

No need for anything heavier than a fleece sweatshirt in the car. A hat will help keep baby warm until the car heats up. Keep the straps as snug as possible.

There are a variety of ways to keep the baby warm if you live in a cold climate, if you need to spend more than a brief moment outdoors between car and indoors. You could put a coat on the baby when you get out of the car. You could put the baby in a sling under your own coat (my preference). You could put a warm blanket over the baby in the carriage. I don't know if they still make them the same way, but my snap-and-go used a strap to hold the carseat into the stroller frame; it was ideal for holding a warm blanket in place over the carseat after we got out of the car.

sky

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 9:43 pm
For an infant I've bought fleece snow suits. They are cheap from carters. (http://www.carters.com/carters/Out-N-About-Fleece-Pram/V_127-766,default,pd.html?cgid=carters-baby-girl-cold-weather-shop-lightweight-and-rain on sale with a coupon I got one for $12)
My daughter is now 1 and very big and I'm not sure what to put her in. I carry her out in coat. Take it off. Put her in car seat, cover with blanket. and then have to do the reverse when we get to our destination. It is a pain but I'm not sure of an alternative.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 9:50 pm
I have a bundle me for my infant, so no need for a coat with him. my daughter sometimes wears a coat, sometimes not- depending on if she wants to take it off or not.
I have also heard that they shouldnt wear a coat- is that only for a baby or also for an older child?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 10:02 pm
The bundle me versions that go between the baby and the car seat should similarly not be used.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 10:03 pm
eema of 3 wrote:

I have also heard that they shouldnt wear a coat- is that only for a baby or also for an older child?
Anyone still harnessed. The reasoning is because it compresses in a collision, slackening the straps as there will now be air between the child and the seat. That science remains the same no matter the age.

bamamama

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 10:08 pm
Adding my voice to echo that coats dont go in carseats. We use a thin fleece suit for the baby and everyone else takes their coat off in the car and uses it to cover themselves if they are cold. I also usually keep a blanket or two in the car when it's coldest.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 10:27 pm
Interesting, I never knew that! So when u take them out of the car, how are they warm? Also, the straps are getting so tight even w/o a coat. It's a graco w different level slots to put in the straps. It's on the hightest slot, still tight.

bamamama

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 10:43 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Interesting, I never knew that! So when u take them out of the car, how are they warm? Also, the straps are getting so tight even w/o a coat. It's a graco w different level slots to put in the straps. It's on the hightest slot, still tight.
you put their coats back on them when you are getting out of the car. Check your user manual about the straps. Does your dc meet the height and weight requirements?

imamiri

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 10:54 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO PUT BABIES IN CAR SEATS WITH COATS ON. If the coat sufficiently takes up space that the straps don't fit without loosening, it is NOT SAFE to put the coat on between the child and the belt.

^^^^THAT. In all its big and bold glory.

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 16 2012, 9:46 am
I never ever heard about this safety concern until now when I got the Bundle Me as a gift and googled it and found these safety issues. I see it's a very popular item, so I don't know how many people are aware either.

I did come across this video of how to make it safe to use, and am wondering if people think this would work, or if anyone tried it and what people think. Would it lay right, or would it just bunch up over the baby? I'm also reluctant to cut up a brand new item like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MrwoFJc1qs

suzyq

Post Fri, Nov 16 2012, 10:03 am
studying_torah wrote:

My Graco infant seat had extra material to the belt that had to be adjusted as the straps were put in different slots - could it be that you didn't adjust the other part? (I think it was at the bottom of the belt in the back.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics