Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
The color red as a non Jewish color
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 9:40 am
momof3 - I can picture it way better now - thanks

redhot

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 7:21 pm
for anyone who is interested- my dh asked a shailah for me about wearing dark colored polish on my finger nails, and we were told that it says in the shulchan aruch that red nails is assur!! I never knew that.

(the rav added that there are Rabbis that have written allowing it in todays day and age, but I dont know details about that)

I was told, however, that brown is not assur to wear. I found this intersting.

bas yisroel

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 9:50 pm
red sea wrote:
Oh well, I still like that color....

Chazal say : Don't say you hate chazir, say: I like it,but don't eat it 'cause hashem yisburuch disallowed.

You may as well like the color.However, you don't wear it 'cause hashem yisburuch disallows.

Chuts mizeh, Did you realize how nuts we go when something new is in fasion? Suddenly, what was yesturday nebechdig, is today beutiful! What is the underlying reason to that?

It's simple: THE KOACH HAYETSER HURU!

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 11:28 pm
MommyLuv wrote:
I guess that's why there's the halacha about women not wearing red....
One of the Rabbonim of our community, Rabbi Y.K. Marlow z"l said that it doesn't say anywhere in Shulchan Aruch that wearing red is ossur. (I heard this from him personally.)

(That doesn't mean that one should davka wear it, just because it's not completely ossur. And ) it doesn't mean that one can't abide by this lifnim mi'shuras hadin, to abstain from wearing red, even if no Rabbinic enactment against it exists in your circle. It could be considered more refined to do that, even if you aren't technically transgressing by wearing red. It could be something one takes upon herself as a hiddur or chumrah, especially since many circles do refrain from red.

Someone told me that the source for any known actual issur on red is from certain Rabbonim, who enacted such a takanah, for their kehillos, or spheres of influence. For example in Yerushalayim - the Rabbonim of the Eidah haChareidis- in the early part of the century.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 08 2006, 10:53 am
Our rov says that any usual nail color is allowed - he just doesn't like a green, blue, black, or orange for example.

As far as Rov Marlow OH - I wonder what his wife and daughters wear; I don't know them that well but the few times I saw them, they were wering neither nail polish nor anything red!

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Dec 08 2006, 11:14 am
I'm sure you can ask them, if you wish, but it doesn't really have to do with an answer that R. Marlow a"h said at a shiur that I was present. I was the one who asked about whether red was ossur, and that was the answer he gave.

Basya

Post Fri, Dec 08 2006, 11:19 am
I heard that you should not wear red on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, but never?!

I own a couple of red sweaters and cardigans and I look pretty good in them and I am not about to throw them away.

Who says that you are not allowed to wear red?

As far as I know its not one of the 613.

Can anyone shed a little light on this for me?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 08 2006, 11:40 am
I've also heard that to Slichos you "shouldn't" wear red.

ruthanne

Post Fri, Dec 08 2006, 12:19 pm
Basya wrote:
I heard that you should not wear red on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, but never?!

I own a couple of red sweaters and cardigans and I look pretty good in them and I am not about to throw them away.

Who says that you are not allowed to wear red?

As far as I know its not one of the 613.

Can anyone shed a little light on this for me?

I heard that it is forbidden for a woman to wear an entire garment in red, such as a dress. But small amounts AFAIK are ok.

Any comments?

bandcm

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 5:34 pm
Who forbade it?
I never heard that red is expressly forbidden as a colour.
However I learned that I shouldn´t really wear clothes that are extremely loud or standouts. So I suppose that if you had a red dress in a bright shade, it wouldn´t be too appropriate.
But forbidden? Halacha?

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 9:37 pm
shalhevet wrote:
brooklyn wrote:
Why do we believe that red wards off the ayin hara?

Who believes? I heard it was chukas hagoy.

Red for ayin harah comes from a misconception of what the Arizal said, that one should wear a ruby to ward off ayin harah. Red in general does not ward off ayin harah, just a ruby.

there is nothing Chukas hagoy about ayin hara or the color red.

ruthanne

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 9:42 pm
I'm pretty sure it says in Shulchan Aruch that you can't wear red.

Any sources please? My seforim are all in boxes. (We moved recently!)

Ahuva

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 8:34 am
I don't know the exact place (I'll look for it though) but I am 99.99% sure that ita says that we should not wear the color of blood. Also I know that the Klausenburg Chasidim don't wear any red cuz it is the color of the satan.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 9:44 am
Anyone who knew our very esteemed Rav, HaRav Marlow z"l, knew that he was a man of very precise, albeit few words. Rabbi Marlow was also known to be a rare baki in all the parts of Shulchan Aruch,(which he knew by heart) and in general all parts of the Torah, and was a worldwide respected Halachic authority.

He said there was nowhere in Shulchan Aruch that it is ossur to wear red. (Or else he said that nowhere in halacha does it say that it's not allowed. this would be even a more broad statement. This is my only safek, whether he said SA, or halacha.) This was what he told me, and I stand by that.

That does not mean to say that there is no REFERENCE to wearing red, or a color that is translated as red. There is, and I know that too, and our Rav knew that too. yes, but l'halacha, it still doesn't say OSSUR.

Does that mean that the Rav encourages people to wear red? No. But we aren't permitted to change the halacha in order to justify a chumrah, hiddur, or other good hanhaga. The chumrah, hiddur or good hanhaga stands on its own merit, and can be praiseworthy enough, without falsifying the Shulchan Aruch or misrepresenting what the halacha is, which is not praiseworthy.

There are many who refrain from red. Of course their hanhaga stems from halachic sources, from their Rabbonim who have enacted it as a takanah, or a hanhagah,- that is absolutely binding on their own kehillos- based on references to it in halachic sources. that still doesn't mean that it says outright in SA that it's ossur. It doesn't.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics