Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Which yogurt maker would you recommend?

Faigy86

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 11:20 am
I think I want to buy a yogurt maker. I've looked through some product reviews, websites etc, - now coming here for real life suggestions.
What do you have? How long do you have it for? How often do you use it? How happy are you? Would you buy it again?
Thanks!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 12:21 pm
My yogourmet is good. I would definitely get one large container than cups.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 2:39 pm
I found that sometimes the yogurt didn't set up right and then the milk and the yogurt I bought to make it all with, was wasted. I look for on sale or the cheapest yogurt and just buy it.

jaysmom

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 2:47 pm
Do you need to add anything besides milk to make basic yogurt? Cultures? Packets?

Faigy86

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 2:51 pm
you need to add some sort of starter, whether it is store bought yogurt or the actual bacteria cultures. some people like adding powdered milk also, but I haven't found it to be necessary.

jaysmom

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 3:00 pm
It seems like a hassle. Am I wrong? Do you really save money?

Faigy86

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 3:15 pm
jaysmom wrote:

Here is my math - I buy one starter yogurt for 75 cents. a half gallon of milk where I live is 2.50. that basically comes to 35 cents a cup.
I really like yogurt, and it is really healthy, buying yogurt is about a dollar a cup.
It is a hassle, but for me at least the math works.
I've been making it just in a pot and in my oven on warm, but it is very delicate, so I was thinking of getting a yogurt maker - the one pink fridge recommended looks good - but maybe that will take too long for me to make back my savings... (60 cents per cup times 5 on average a week, is 3 dollars a week. I would make it back in 17 weeks - a bit too long for my liking.) Maybe someone else will chime in that they have a cheaper model that also works?

shmaichul

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 7:15 pm
Is there a way to make yogurt similiar to the J&J swiss yogurts in a yogurt maker? My kids love yogurt but only that kind...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 7:35 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
jaysmom wrote:

Here is my math - I buy one starter yogurt for 75 cents. a half gallon of milk where I live is 2.50. that basically comes to 35 cents a cup.
I really like yogurt, and it is really healthy, buying yogurt is about a dollar a cup.
I've been making it just in a pot and in my oven on warm, but it is very delicate, so I was thinking of getting a yogurt maker - the one pink fridge recommended looks good - but maybe that will take too long for me to make back my savings... (60 cents per cup times 5 on average a week, is 3 dollars a week. I would make it back in 17 weeks - a bit too long for my liking.) Maybe someone else will chime in that they have a cheaper model that also works?

Why not just eat the 75 cent yogurts?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 7:36 pm
Why not buy the cheaper yogurt instead ?

behappysk

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 7:43 pm
I also have the yogurmet large container and I'm very pleased with the results. I did have a cheaper model with small cups but somehow it didn't come out so great, so I switched to this one and so far it's really doing it's job well. Maybe now with black friday sales, you can find a good buy on it.

cm

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 7:56 pm
I use my warming drawer. If you have a (very) old-fashioned oven with a pilot light, you could use that. Or an insulated cooler with a light bulb rigged inside.

jaysmom

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 8:06 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
jaysmom wrote:

Thanks for doing the math. I agree that 17 weeks is too long to make back the money.
How do you make it in the oven, if you don't mind me asking. If its too annoying to explain, I could always google it. I also love yogurt and would be curious to try it.

Faigy86

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 9:26 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Why not buy the cheaper yogurt instead ?

My math was for a cup of yogurt. 75cents is for 6 oz. 3/4 of a cup.

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 1:11 am
I love my yogurt maker!
I have this one
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/3440.....Maker
It is very simple to use. Almost as quick as taking some yogurts off the shelf in the supermarket!
My kids enjoy choosing and mixing their own flavours, at the moment their favourites are strawberry (I purée some frozen ,defrosted strawberries and put a tablespoon or two into each yogurt) and honey with chocolate chips.
I love it because, it works out much cheaper than store-bought and is much healthier - no additives or e-numbers or sugar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars