Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
KGH- any medical professionals out there?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 9:43 pm
My husband will be working in a hospital in Queens. Is KGH the closest Jewish community?

What can you tell me about the professional community? (Ie totaly orthodox but working husbands, not in yeshiva). what are the shul and school options for this type of family?

How far in advance can I start looking to rent an apt or house? is it worth it to make a trip out there (OOT) to look around about 4 months before- or will people laugh in our faces that we are looking so early?

Is it common to find stay at home moms?

Can anyone recommend a good pediatrition, family doc, obgyn, dentist, ped dentist, pediatric physip therapist?

what is the most common way to meet people? at shul? drop off at school? (I have two kids under 3)

Thank you!

obviously the biggest stress is finding an apt/house

Aetrsnrady

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 9:55 pm
Which hospital? Or what neighborhood is the hospital in? Long Island Jewish, fir example, is technically in Queens, but really on the border of Long Island so other communities may be an option. If its Queens General or New York Hospital of Queens, KGH is definitly closest, though some commute. KGH is a great community- it's not too early, especially of you want your dc enrolled in preschool- spots fill up pretty fast. Some programs msy already br closed, You may want to consider renting an apartment and then see where you want to live once you've been here for a while.
Many shuls to choose from. There are definitely professionals. Some SAHMs, but not majority, though many women work part time... Nice amount of OOTs, including me! Wink
What else do you want to know??

Aetrsnrady

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 10:03 pm
Schools:
Bais Yaakov and Bnos Malka- girls
Tiferes Moshe and Yeshiva Ketana-boys
Yeshiva of Central Queens (yCQ) coed, but separate classes beginning in 4th grade. If your kids are under 3, you have some time, most people send to smaller preschools and then start any of the above elementary schools at 5 ((Pre-1a/ Kindergarten)

There are a significant number of 'learning' families because Yeshiva Chofetz Chaim, Ohr Hachaim, and Lander are all here, but plenty of professionals that are machshiv Torah send their kids to the single-gender schools

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 10:11 pm
Pediatrician- David Hurwitz 718-520-1707
Family Dr- Ellie Bennett
OBGYN- jack Kanarek- 718-544-8400
Pediatric Dentist- Steve Krauss (in Lawrence about 20 min drive - worth the schlep!) (516) 295-1155
Ped PT- services are provided by Early Intervention agency try Challenge (718) 972-0880. If you qualify for PT request Rivka Robinson or Ruchi Axelrod

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 10:22 pm
Thanks for all the info! He will be at the community hospital- flushing medical center. Have you heard of it? Is KGH a good option for us? If not what would be better? How do u go about researching schools for pre nursery (2yr old) and pre-k (4yr old) for September? Would/ could they be in the same school? What are typical hours?What about summer camps? What is the best way to find house rentals? ( I hear 3 bedroom apts are hard to come by). What is the best way to look for a part time job?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 10:27 pm
Op here. He will also be at Jamaica hospital

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 11:06 pm
Ha Flushing hospital-my Mother is an administrative nurse there. Not to many frummies or Jews there for that matter, but there are a few and my Mother always seems to finds them befriend them. If you want any info pm me.
Gl!

Aetrsnrady

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 12:19 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the info! He will be at the community hospital- flushing medical center. Have you heard of it? Is KGH a good option for us? If not what would be better? How do u go about researching schools for pre nursery (2yr old) and pre-k (4yr old) for September? Would/ could they be in the same school? What are typical hours?What about summer camps? What is the best way to find house rentals? ( I hear 3 bedroom apts are hard to come by). What is the best way to look for a part time job?

KGH is a great option IMHO and def the closest.
I don't know how far away you are, but if you could, come ASAP to register for school. Here people call up right after Succos / no joke. Did you see the thread about Judi's Nursery? I highly recommend it. Call tomorrow morning- they may already be full, but put yourself on the waiting list. 718-520-1324. They also are opening a camp. They only have 3s and 4s. 9:00-3:30 9-12 on Fri, with extended options privately with one of the teachers.

2s are usually 9-12:30 or 1:00. The only schools I know that have 2s are
Arieli (Cong Ohel Yitzchok - everyone calls it Arieli, bec it's the name of the Rabbi of the shul. ) 718-261-7037

Gan Eden Preschool- couldn't find the #, sorry

You should probably join the yahoo group, kgh shuls, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KGHShuls/

There are also playgroups in people houses, especially for 2s. Many people here keep there 2s at home, but virtually everyone sends at 3.

Gan Devorah has 2-4s(718) 591-4552
My friends who send are very happy. They also have a camp.

3 bedroom apts are very hard to come by. KGH shuls (yahoo group) should be very helpful. You can look in The Jewish Press classified, new ads come out on Wednesday. You may want to speak to a broker since you are OOT. Try Astor Brokerage 718-263-4500. They also have a website. Or Queensrealtorteam.com, I think they are century21.

Again, I can't stress how important it is to try to come here, you'll want to see how close the apt is to schools, main st, etc. there are apts in buildings, garden apts, and 2 family houses.

What type of part time job are you looking for?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating