Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Dry and liquid measurements

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 1:01 pm
Are you careful to use the correct measuring cup? I'm not and I paid for it today. I made an instant pudding and it called for 2 cups milk, so I poured in 2 cups. After leaving it in the fridge for 10 minutes as per its instructions I checked to see if it got hard. Since it didn't I double checked the box and it said 2 cups nd in parenthesis it said 400 ml, which is not dry 2 cups. Am I right? Is that my mistake?

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 2:08 pm
400 mL = 13.5 US fluid ounces. 2 cups = 473 mL. You used roughly 18% more milk than was called for. It's not so much that you used a dry measure instead of fluid measure as that you didn't convert properly between English measure and metric. Or, rather, that whoever wrote the instructions didn't convert properly.

The difference between dry measure and fluid measure isn't so large that it would have materially affected your results. The reason we have dry and fluid measure cups is that the WAY you measure is different. Dry measure has to be level, so you fill a dry measure a little over the top and scrape off the excess. Fluid measure is filled to the marked line when the line is held at eye level. You can use a dry measure cup for fluid, but then you'd better have a surgeon's rock-steady hands to transport the cup, filled to the rim, to your mixing bowl without spilling.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 2:48 pm
Yoma, were you using parve milk by any chance?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 4:56 pm
It was soy milk. I used an american measuring cup and a box from Israel. I guess next time I should read more carefully.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen