Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Yoshon Oatmeal in Lakewood

questioner

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 11:10 am
It's just Chanuka... and my kids are going through oatmeal at a rate that I didn't plan on.

NPGS Jackson doesn't have in their yoshon room, and I didn't see any in Walmart / Shoprite - unless I missed?
Is there anywhere that I can still get the big containers of instant oats (I need at least 4-5)? I don't really want to go on a wild goose chase checking dates at every store, so any info would be appreciated.
Thanks!

boysrus

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 11:13 am
sorry I do not have an answer for you, but I am new to the world of yoshon adn also looing for yoshon oats, in a different city to you, could you please telll me what I am looking or in terms of dates, how do I know if it is yoshon? thanks a lot, I would really apprecitate it, I have been unable so far to find anyone who knows how to do this!

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 11:43 am
boysrus wrote:
sorry I do not have an answer for you, but I am new to the world of yoshon adn also looing for yoshon oats, in a different city to you, could you please telll me what I am looking or in terms of dates, how do I know if it is yoshon? thanks a lot, I would really apprecitate it, I have been unable so far to find anyone who knows how to do this!

You need a copy of the Yoshon Guide. If you want to PM me with your email address, I'll email it to you, but you can get it on your own by sending an email to either Chodosh@sefer.org or Chodosh@moruda.com -- you must be something relevant in the subject and email body so they know it's not spam, and then they'll email you back the current guide.

MimiMommy

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 11:46 am
Yoshon oatmeal is hard to find. Unless I'm organized, we usually just do without until after Pesach!

questioner

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 11:46 am
boysrus wrote:

Sure - in a nutshell, each company has their own system whereby you can tell when it was packed. The cutoff for vadai yoshon packing dates are known across each grain (ex: oats are in Aug? I think), but each company indicates it as such.
Either look in the Yoshon book or you can search here by brand http://www.jewlight.org/yoshon.htm

So let's say I want to know Quaker instant oats http://www.jewlight.org/yoshon/datecode_q.htm It says here: Oats
(100% Natural Whole Grain Quick 1-Minute) -March 16 14. That means to look for the date (usually a best sold by date) somewhere on the container. If it is March 16 or before to go; if it is afterwards, then no good.

penguin

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 11:56 am
Shloimy's has an instant oats.

questioner

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 12:26 pm
penguin wrote:
Shloimy's has an instant oats.

Thanks! The packets or the big containers?

PT mommy

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 2:10 pm
I think there's an Israeli brand with a Badatz (Eidah Charaidis) Hechsher, which is always Yoshon. I forgot which brand it is, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it in NPGS.

penguin

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 7:19 pm
Yes, I just took the last package of instant in James St but there's plenty of others. It's right next to regular cereals & says Yoshon on it. comes in instant, quick & regular.

It's called Kosher Mills in English, & says Ki Tov but in Hebrew.

questioner

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 10:19 pm
Thanks all! I don't know how I missed the Israeli brand. I ended up finding in Walmart, and bought 7 large containers... there's still some more if anyone else needs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen