Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Help me choose m new sewing machine!

natmichal

Post Mon, May 28 2012, 5:17 am
Dh's grandparents decided that they want me to have a brand new sewing machine for my birthday :-) ( I'm using the one their daughter bought when she got married.....).
I have been allotted a budget of up to 4000 nis. I'd love a Bernina but they are out of the range (I could add some money but prefer not to), so I was thinking of a Bernette. In the range are the 55, 65/66, 80e and 92e (group buying).
I'm a beginner/average sewer and need something that will last, can deal with all types of fabric and would love good button hole, zipper and possibly some embroidery features.
I'm also open to other brands if you have a good experience with them!

tia

Ilovechoumous

Post Mon, May 28 2012, 6:50 am
I've got a bernina bernette, I've been using it for about 4 years with different types of fabric, thick and light. she is very strong. I have a few different feet but usually use the same regular one.
I've never done a button hole and it doesn't have embroidery features but she is great.

natmichal

Post Mon, May 28 2012, 7:46 am
Ilovechoumous - Which one do you have?

Marion

Post Mon, May 28 2012, 8:15 am
I have a Husqvarna Daisy 325. They were "retiring" the model number when I bought mine 8 years ago, but it's the most basic model they offer and, according to the licensed repair place, there is still a comparable model available. No embroidery, but it seems to do everything else well.

natmichal

Post Mon, May 28 2012, 8:23 am
Marion, did you buy it in
israel? I haven't seen any here, but it might be because I've been looking more into bernina/ bernette/janome

Marion

Post Mon, May 28 2012, 10:01 am
Yup, it was my first purchase in the country. Smile

freidasima

Post Mon, May 28 2012, 1:59 pm
I have a Brother-Empisal and I love it, I think I've had it for about ten years. They are terrific. Embroidery and the works.

Didi

Post Mon, May 28 2012, 2:21 pm
I don't want to take over the thread, but can someone message me how to get the tension right on my machine, I am having a hard time with it. I have a Brother. TIA

cm

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 6:50 am
Check out patternreview.com. It's a great source of sewing machine reviews and discussions. Enjoy!

Culturedpearls

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 10:54 am
I have a Husqvarna, it's now 14 years old & it's a beautiful, strong machine.
I recently bought my DD a beginners Elna & it's great for a beginner but thruthfuly there's no comparison .

with a smile :)

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 2:41 am
I have a Bernina and love it. I don't remember it being more than 4000, but it's almost 7 years old so the prices may have gone up. Bernettes are supposed to be good as well.

Brother makes some very nice and affordable sewing machines, with more features than my Bernina activa 230 has, and some very beginner-friendly features. I don't know if you can get them here though, and I'm not sure that using a converter long term is a good idea. The Singer Heavy Duty 4423 is another good American machine, particularly if you ever want to get into quilting as it can handle heavy or thick fabric.

tzniutfashion

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 5:46 pm
I love my Brother sewing machines and serger. The motor is quite and the machine is lightweight.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars