Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Which option would you chose- equal price

amother

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 12:18 pm
We are looking to buy something. There are 2 options available that are around the same price that work for us.
Option 1: Large condo in prime location, lots of space, rooms, closets, square footage. In a building, no elevator, but tons of neighbors and all frum etc
Option 2: Smaller place, own home, but farther out, maybe one Jew on the block.

Is it better to own a home? Live in middle of the frum community? Which is better?
WWYD? why?

abby1776

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 1:15 pm
The one that is farther out - your own home - is it an up and coming neghborhood?

Do you have kids? Do you need to switch schools?

I for one would never go back to living in an apartment worrying about whether the people downstairs hear my kids or if the people upstairs make too much noise.

That being said, there is a lot to home ownership - you have to keep up your house and repair it - when you have a condo/apartment you can call the super to fix things.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 1:53 pm
Def #1. Condo living is the best!! No Maintenence!!

zigi

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 2:04 pm
if the condo was soundproofed from the neighbors I would like that idea. I like having neighbors. seeing everyone waiting for the bus together. emergency babysitters, friends etc. friends for my kids on shabbos and snowdays.

I guess I am used to living in a building. it does get annoying that I have to plan the time I want to exercise or make sure the kids aren't being too loud. or the crazy neighbor down the hall.

a house also sounds good. but I would have to walk my kids over for play dates on shabbos. it would be great not to hear neighbors and worry about jumping. also a backyard would be amazing

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 2:07 pm
it's a lot nicer to be able to pick & choose when you wanna hang around the yentas ...

I would go for the house

invisiblecircus

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 3:53 am
Which floor is the apartment on?

Have you got children? If so, how many an what ages?

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:12 am
What are you used to? I don't like living with people all cramped together. I like my space.

etky

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:58 am
zigi wrote:
if the condo was soundproofed from the neighbors I would like that idea. I like having neighbors. seeing everyone waiting for the bus together. emergency babysitters, friends etc. friends for my kids on shabbos and snowdays.

I guess I am used to living in a building. it does get annoying that I have to plan the time I want to exercise or make sure the kids aren't being too loud. or the crazy neighbor down the hall.

a house also sounds good. but I would have to walk my kids over for play dates on shabbos. it would be great not to hear neighbors and worry about jumping. also a backyard would be amazing

This. And aside from the physical sense of being part of a community, I think it's very healthy and instructive for kids to grow up with neighbors that they have to interact with, be considerate of etc. Not to mention the kids being able to walk places on their own w/o being driven. If the condo isn't a compromise space wise, I'd say go for it.

imasinger

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 6:42 am
Frim the way you equated your options, I assume that, all else being equal, you would want the house, but also want to be near everything.

Therefore, I vote for Option Three. Hold off buying until you can have your own house in the neighborhood you want.

People sometimes tend to rush into home ownership. This is a big investment -- better to wait and get it right.

sky

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 10:52 am
imasinger wrote:
Frim the way you equated your options, I assume that, all else being equal, you would want the house, but also want to be near everything.

Therefore, I vote for Option Three. Hold off buying until you can have your own house in the neighborhood you want.

People sometimes tend to rush into home ownership. This is a big investment -- better to wait and get it right.

I agree. I would want a balance between the 2 and would want a happy medium. Neither would work for me.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 11:21 am
I'd go for the condo, it's great to be around others, have other kids to play w/ yours, have where to go to borrow an egg.......I live in an appt, the con is that there is much less privacy e/1 can see when you go/come.....

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 12:31 pm
op here

I will probably never be able to afford a house in the area that the condo is. The only way we would eb able to afford a house is if we live on the outskirts of town, where yes we would be wary of letting our kids walk to the shops etc. Maybe there would be one or 2 other jewish families on the block.

I like the idea of a house because it is private and yours. Also there is your own yard. The condo is in a building and there is no yard (there's a courtyard sort of thing that is shared) and a small porch. However we would be getting a lot more bedroom space for the same money.

MimiMommy

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 12:45 pm
I'm sure the 1 Jewish family near the house would be really happy to have you as neighbors!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 6:37 am
It's hard. No elevator wouldn't be an option for me, between kids and errands.
But also, a house is to me very impractical kids wise, heating wise, repairs wise... and having lived OOT, I didn't enjoy it.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 8:51 am
Deleted.

Last edited by amother on Sat, Jan 09 2016, 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 9:05 am
I personally hate condos and I think especially in todays age, same as you are getting a house for a good price on that block, in a few years it will be all jewish. Someone has to be the first on the block.
I don't think it will damage your kids in any way not to have immediate neighbors, in fact it might make your life easier because you will be able to bring them in for supper, keep them home when you want etc without making them feel left out.

Also, a house is always a better deal imho because it is a house, own yard/driveway/walls etc and a condo is sharing at the end of the day.

But from the way you right about the condo it seems you already made your choice to take it?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 10:10 am
chocolate chips wrote:
I personally hate condos and I think especially in todays age, same as you are getting a house for a good price on that block, in a few years it will be all jewish. Someone has to be the first on the block.
I don't think it will damage your kids in any way not to have immediate neighbors, in fact it might make your life easier because you will be able to bring them in for supper, keep them home when you want etc without making them feel left out.

Also, a house is always a better deal imho because it is a house, own yard/driveway/walls etc and a condo is sharing at the end of the day.

But from the way you right about the condo it seems you already made your choice to take it?

Op here

We have not chosen anything yet. I really want a house because we always lived in a condo and I felt like it was less than. I'm just trying to figure out if this house wanting is a shtick and if really the more logical decision is to buy a condo with ample square feet and rooms.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 6:23 pm
You can be and stay the only Jew in the building, neighbourhood, or even town.

Ashrei

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 8:24 pm
I can only speak for myself and my family, but if this were in Brooklyn, I'd opt for the condo because:

1) If I didn't care to be around other Jews, I'd move waay OOT and buy a mansion for the same money.
2) Brooklyn is conducive to urban style living anyway.

My only reservation to your condo is I'd love for at least there to be a small terrace or SOMEthing 'right' outside. But the shared courtyard does sound nice.

The condo sounds nice except for the no stairs thing, but houses usually have stairs you need to bump strollers up and down in.

Full disclosure: I have a house in a very frum area. But it is small as far as houses go, and sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to just get some sort of penthouse type thing.

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating