Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Q for photoshop whizzes

ilic

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 9:55 am
If you can help me with my problem I'll be so happy!

I've been working with photoshop for a couple of years, all fine. Recently I had to uninstall all programs on my computer and reinstall. Now every time I open a picture on photoshop, either a new download from my camera or a picture that I have saved from my old photoshop, it opens very small. As in if I open a new document of the same size and resolution and move the old saved picture onto the new document, it will be much smaller.

This is really bugging me, especially because the nature of my work means I'm constantly using old pictures in new pictures etc.

I've checked the size and resolution a zillion times on different photos, and the old saved and the new document are both the same.

So what am I missing? What

BTW its cs5

ilic

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 4:25 pm
Bump, anyone?

wereafamily

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 4:39 pm
Strange! Why don't you call adobe?

sunspot

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 5:01 pm
check if you are set to inches or pixels--your defaults may have been reset

ilic

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 5:06 pm
Op here,
I've checked the cm, pixels, inches etc, changed and changed back, everything I can think of.
I'm seriously puzzled.
And about phoning adobe- didn't think of that will have to dig up their number.
In the meantimes if you have any other ideas ???!

crl

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 5:48 pm
I don't know offhand, but there could be some sort of automatic setting for when you open a document it only opens at X percent. I know my Photoshop was stuck opening everything with a grid and I couldn't get rid of it; though I'm sure it's a preference that I just don't know.

Maybe post a screenshot so we can get a better idea of what happens?

sunspot

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 6:01 pm
the thing that puzzled me crl is that when she creates a doc the same size and picture dragging into it the pic after dragged in shows up smaller

ilic

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 6:13 pm
Crl- if that's the case then it would be stuck at 300%? Maybe more, is that even possible? I'll have a look when I'm at the computer.
Webdesignermum- right that's what's happening.
To put it simply if I open a saved A4 page from the 'old' photoshop and drag onto an A4 page from the 'new' photoshop it is only less than a 1/4 of the page. But all the settings seem to be exactly the same.

I was kind of hoping I was missing something really simple, but at least I'm not feeling foolish!

bnm

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 6:25 pm
maybe the new doc resolution is set much higher? maybe it downgrades when dragging? what happens when you directly open old files, not drag them into new ones? do you want to email someone one of your old files to see if they have the same issue? check the adobe.com forums and google your problem, a lot of times I have found solutions like that.

ilic

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 6:51 pm
Bnm- the resolution is the same for both I've checked that. Why would it get smaller when I drag?
The old files are fine, print fine, as do the new ones, the only issue is dragging one to the other.
Actually there's another thing; any downloaded 300 res photo, when I dragged onto new doc in the old photoshop it was huge but on the new one it is very small. It's probably part of the same issue.
I actually did try googling but I couldn't think of the correct wording to search and didn't get relevant results.

The truth is its not the end of the world I can work around it by re-using old files if I know I will need to drag a lot, it's just super annoying because I have so many templates and such saved from the old photoshop. I was hoping the solution would be some technicality.

But thanks!

photoshop_mommy

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 5:33 pm
I work in CS5 and 6, and I've found that dragging from one doc to the other creates a smart object, which PHotoshop proceeds to size at whatever size it thinks will fit best on the page. Maybe do it without dragging? (Like file>open)

Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics