Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Minhag to only dress up as Jewish Characters?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 10:34 am
Anyone heard of this? My cousin in Y'lem told me this is her minhag. Never heard of it, no has anyone else I've asked.

StrongIma

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 11:14 am
seeing that the child invariably dresses up as their "dream" character, yes I only allowed my own children to dress up in a costume with a jewish theme.

I doubt this is s/thing you would find written up in halacha, though, since all those garbage TV/film characters didn't exist way back then

sourstix

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 11:28 am
I dont think its a minhag I never heard of it. I definitley wouldnt dress my child in a scary non jewish character. if its a baby why cant I dress her/him in mickey mouse?its just so cute. of courseits better todressin in something refined bec. what will our children do if we do mickey mouse? the generations get weaker we need to keep that in mind. there are such cute ideas other then non jewish characters. thats just my opinion.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 11:36 am
I have never heard of this minhag.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 11:38 am
I know that the Lubavitcher Rebbe spoke against not kosher animals in general and not dressing up as R'shaim (haman etc.)

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 11:42 am
Many of the more torani DL schools in Israel only allow kids to dress up as Jewish characters. It does make a disappointing purim for some of the kids, because most of them are exposed to secular culture and would prefer to be a Ninja warrior or Disney princess or what not. I've seen in some families the kids have 2 costumes, one for school, one for home/shul.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 2:00 pm
I've noticed that in my Charedi city alot of the kids are Mordechai, Moshe Rabbenu etc. My kids are always the pirates and policemen lol.

busydev

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 2:13 pm
I think minhag is probably the wrong word.

if its what they do, fine. but minhag Confused

they are makpid to only be jewish. the community in general dresses only jewish. I guess that would be the community's custom which could be translated to minhag- but a minhag thats called a minhag is from further back in my understanding. not something that was started a generation or less ago.

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 2:13 pm
I've never heard of this. You mean you can't even dress up as Haman or Achashveros or Vashti?
But I could dress up as... Paula Abdul, and that would be okay?

Bea21

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 2:21 pm
I have heard that it's assur to dress up as another religion, (e.g. preist, buddha, ...) but other than that, it can be a nice thought or custom to dress as only Jewish, never heard of an actual minhag.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics