Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
So much wasted food from mishloach manos
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 2:49 pm
I'm the amother who gives out the deli sandwiches, thanks to those of you who posted confirming what I thought (that people actually DO eat it and enjoy it like they claim the do). I don't think we give it to anyone who doubts our kashrus so I guess I am on again with the deli sandwich idea!

Thanks!

gold21

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 3:33 pm
Oy, I think it is a shame that some of you have such a bad attitude towards shalach manos...
I understand that sometimes it can feel overwhelming to get a large number of shalach manos, but it seems like a shame that it takes the excitement out of it for you....
I love love love homemade thoughtful yummy shalach manos, including deli sandwich ones!
I don't think people are making yummy shalach manos for themselves, not at all.
I do confess, though, that I do not really enjoy themed shalach manos that have impractical foods in it that are only there to fit in with the theme.

Last edited by gold21 on Mon, Feb 11 2013, 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 3:38 pm
gold21 wrote:
Aww
You guys take all the fun out of shalach manos
Now you're making me think - what CAN I send for shalach manos that will actually be appreciated and not put in the bag for the cleaning lady or into the garbage???
I love homemade shalach manos....
Some of you seem so clinical in the way you deal with shalach manos... Like hello, someone put hours of thought and effort into it, don't be so cut and dry about how u dispose of it....
No offense but how is someone to know if a MM was made in 5 minutes or 5 hours? I dont pay attention to those things as I am sure others are not as well.
I also believe that most people who are spending a lot of time on MM are doing it because they THMESELVES enjoy that.

gold21

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 3:40 pm
I disagree, shabbatiscoming. Of course I notice when a lot of effort is put into something. Human nature.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 3:42 pm
gold21 wrote:
I disagree, shabbatiscoming. Of course I notice when a lot of effort is put into something. Human nature.
But thats because you do it as well. I dont do it and therefore I dont really notice. Im telling you how I am, I notice a nice MM, but I can not tell the difference if it was worked on a lot or a little.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 4:00 pm
gold21 wrote:
Aww
You guys take all the fun out of shalach manos
Now you're making me think - what CAN I send for shalach manos that will actually be appreciated and not put in the bag for the cleaning lady or into the garbage???
I love homemade shalach manos....
Some of you seem so clinical in the way you deal with shalach manos... Like hello, someone put hours of thought and effort into it, don't be so cut and dry about how u dispose of it....

I'm one of the systematic deconstructors of MM but that doesn't mean I don't pay each one their 5 seconds of homage, especially the ones that someone obviously took pains over. I really do appreciate the effort (more like I'm in awe of it because it's not something I do well at all) but that doesn't mean that it has to linger in its intact form on my counter any longer than it absolutely has to. I do notice all the details though and even make a mental note to compliment the person next time I see her if it was particularly nice or original. And then I start to deconstruct asap before the next one arrives. But we do enjoy everyone's culinary/confectionary efforts even long after the chag is over since I freeze anything I can. What can you do? Purim has become another word for overload....
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics