Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Being Jewish is fattening
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 12:23 am
It's not a Chicago thing, however, you want to hear something interesting? My husband's friend is a rebbe in a cheder here. He said that the kids here in Chicago are definetly fatter than kids in his hometown!

This is what I do:

when I attend a kiddush or shalom zachor or whatever, I allow myself one treat. I scan the junk, and decide what's "worth it." I take it, enjoy it, and then immediately make a bracha achrona, and then move on with my life. If I still want to nosh, I try to fill up my plate with fruit or popcorn.

FYI: Sharee Tzedek on Touhy has GREAT kiddushes! lucky I don't go there that often LOL

mumoo

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 12:44 am
fatter kids in Chicago? Unfortunately, there seems to be a little truth to that. My girl's school is part of a hospital-run pilot program to teach healthy eating/living to the girls and their families (the first step was to remove the soda machine)

The school was chosen because a community survey showed this area was in need of health education

The survey also showed that the smaller kids were heavier than average, but as they grew older they moved closer to the national average

ShiraMiri

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 10:18 am
All you need to do is go swimming at the Touhy JCC to see that there is an obesity problem with our youth in Chicago. That being said, there are plenty of skinny kids about too - I never ran a comparison poll!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise