Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Is there a market for wigs under $500?

oodlesofnoodles

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 3:07 am
I'm thinking about getting into the sheitel industry. Through my networking connections, I can begin selling synthetic and human hair blend wigs for under $500. I'm just wondering if there is a market for this in the NYC metro area.

Any feedback would be great!

smss

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 5:28 am
you would really have to prove yourself. I think most people are very wary of $500 wigs....but if you managed to actually get good quality ones that last for that price, I'm sure everyone would come flocking to you!!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 6:24 am
I think there is. I just saw an ad for a new company dealing in synthetics. I think there might be some interesting options developing.

Grandmama

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 6:31 am
There are many good wigs like that currently selling under $200. Some as low as $30.
Blends have mostly lost their appeal, most people are either synthetic wearers, or HH wig wearers.
HH wigs have come down in price with some sellers selling for $350 and up to $750 for lower end wigs.
There will always be wigs for $2000-2500 because there are people that think they must spend that amount to look good. However from many years of personal experience in the wig business, I have been happier with some of my $500 HH wigs than some of the most famous brands costing $2000+.

Each wig is a mazel. What is missing nowadays is creative new styles, and wigs that are easy to care for and maintain. A manufacturer with a good guarantee, that stands behind their products, is what everyone would really like to see. Success takes many years to achieve, with most of the people I know in the wig business always complaining that business is not as good as it once used to be, due to so many competitors today. Anyone can have connections, go to China, copy and produce wigs, as long as they have some money to invest. But many try it out, not all are successful.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 6:37 am
Grandmama wrote:
There are many good wigs like that currently selling under $200. Some as low as $30.
Blends have mostly lost their appeal, most people are either synthetic wearers, or HH wig wearers.
HH wigs have come down in price with some sellers selling for $350 and up to $750 for lower end wigs.
There will always be wigs for $2000-2500 because there are people that think they must spend that amount to look good. However from many years of personal experience in the wig business, I have been happier with some of my $500 HH wigs than some of the most famous brands costing $2000+.

Each wig is a mazel. What is missing nowadays is creative new styles, and wigs that are easy to care for and maintain. A manufacturer with a good guarantee, that stands behind their products, is what everyone would really like to see. Success takes many years to achieve, with most of the people I know in the wig business always complaining that business is not as good as it once used to be, due to so many competitors today. Anyone can have connections, go to China, copy and produce wigs, as long as they have some money to invest. But many try it out, not all are successful.

Yes

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 11:35 am
As a sheitelmacher, I know a thing or two about wigs. There are many nice blends that sell for under $500 and synthetics for $300-$350 RETAIL - meaning that under $500 your wholesale price is way overpriced. And the market is flooded with options, just ask any sheitelmacher. I would hate for you to invest in a new line and then not be able to sell it. Don't forget that you'd also have to spend a lot of money marketing the wigs in an oversaturated market. Hatzlocho whatever you decide.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total

oodlesofnoodles

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 10:50 am
thanks for the feedback everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels