Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What are your spiritual tips for Pesach?

Holy Sparks

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 1:02 am
I see tons of great tips for cleaning, prepping, cooking for Pesach. What about spiritual tips and highlights? What are your favorites?

chani8

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 1:52 am
"Dear G-d, HELP me with Pesach!"

"HELP Hashem! How am I supposed to clean, organize, prepare, plan and shop, with all the kids home?!"

My spiritual tip - talk to Hashem. Only with siyata d'shamaya will my home be kosher l'pesach.

sequoia

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 1:59 am
I would appreciate some tips too. I am sick and NOT feeling it this year!

wif

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 2:55 am
Two things offhand:

1. I try to think--really think, and be grateful for--about all of my personal geulahs.

2. Listen to awesome shiurim that you can find online, like Rabbi Keleman and Rebbetzin Heller while cleaning.

morahl

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 3:27 am
I give tzedakeh before I begin cleaning and ask Hashem to help me that my house will be completely kosher for Pesach. One year I put 5 shekels in the pushka. After cleaning, when we were burning our chametz, I noticed a plastic bag in a corner of our yard against the fence. I went to pick it up to throw it away, and underneath was a fifty shekel bill! They say that Hashem returns your tzedakeh ten fold:)

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 6:00 am
I read that R"Ch Nissan is a great time to choose something to work on yourself and see how well you can do on it by Pesach.

This year, I am trying to be a better listener to my family, because they need it most when things are stressful; and to stay away from processed sugar, which I find addictive.

Yesterday, I got a text from my BIL confirming that he would come to us for sedarim. He has a generous habit that can drive me crazy of going out and buying a ton more food after I have already cooked more than enough and don't have space or need for his 7 shopping bags full of contributions.

This year, b"H, after a brief rant to DH, I was able to calmly text him back when he said he wanted to come a day early "so I can buy stuff." I told him that I would save space in the fridge and not shop at one fruit and veggie market so that he can do it. That is a big improvement over past responses (usually gritting teeth and muttering, or telling him no very firmly.) I am going to continue to work on myself to make his visit pleasant for all.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 8:21 am
I don't listen to shiurim while I work. Maybe very light stuff. But B'H I've heard a few good ones (Shira Smiles) and read quite a bit too. I may not be whistling while I work but my perspective's pretty decent and I'm somewhat excited. I think if we can muster moments of finding pleasure in some of the work (and yes, cooking is more fun than scrubbing, at least IMO) and genuine excitement, Hashem will be pretty happy with us. And I forgot - gratitude. Gratitude for having a home, for having food in the freezer and on the shelves, for having clothes to wear, new or not, whatever one's situation is right now. ETA, gratitude for the people to prep for. Oops.

You know what they say about Chanoch, that his holy kavanos were, let me do a good, honorable job for my clients. I don't think we need to beat ourselves up if we don't feel like overflowing fonts of kedusha right now, provided we're with the basic program. But one last thought I already mentioned recently: Rabbi Boruch Leff said that the physical cleaning has to be a catalyst for spiritual cleaning. If we can find some improvement there, maybe this week will pass with more simcha and less criticism, whatever, YMMV, that too is success.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Mon, Mar 18 2013, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

chani8

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 11:39 am
Chometz is likened to gaivah, so when cleaning out the chometz, get rid of your gaivah, too.

I heard that in a shiur.

I think the main thing is when cleaning out the goshmius, make a cheshbone hanefesh on what ruchnious aspect needs cleaning, too.

lk1234

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 12:36 pm
I am enjoying the chazak line pesach shiurim.
I LOVE love rabbi efraim wachsman
the number is 718 258 2008
4 4 and then wait to hear rabbi wachsman

also why not get a new hagada? It's just such a treat to enjoy new ideas. I obviously don't have time to pore over sefarim but even just when I'm on the couch at night for a couple of minutes. It just makes things meaninglful!

cpa613

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 12:36 pm
This may sound lame, but I try really hard to be upbeat for my kids sake. They know that cleaning for yom tov is always hard - but they know that I really consider it a bracha to be able to do so. I want them to have positive memories of the days leading up to yom tov as much as from the yom tov itself - not always easy to do, but if I keep on repeating it to myself it gets easier with time.

Uncle Moishy Pesach songs don't hurt either!

MyTimeNow

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 5:52 pm
I'm being happy, no matter what. Going into Pesach smiling.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 5:57 pm
cpa613 wrote:
This may sound lame, but I try really hard to be upbeat for my kids sake. They know that cleaning for yom tov is always hard - but they know that I really consider it a bracha to be able to do so. I want them to have positive memories of the days leading up to yom tov as much as from the yom tov itself - not always easy to do, but if I keep on repeating it to myself it gets easier with time.

Uncle Moishy Pesach songs don't hurt either!

Fantastic. Not lame at all.

chani8

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 6:08 pm
Wow, cpa613 and runningmom, you're rubbing off on me. I can feel the desire to smile, but it's still more like a grimace. But I'm going to work on it. Thanks for your sweet, inspirational words.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 6:15 pm
Get hold of a haggada with nice pirushim and read it.

Pray for redemption with MOSHIACH & own it like you really want it NOW!!!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 6:42 pm
every year when I was little, my mom would buy my dad a new haggadah. we had quite the collection. I do the same for my dh. if we have time before y't, we can read the new haggadah and come up with some divrei torah for seder.

other than that, I enjoy cleaning together with my dh. believe it or not, it's quality time together.

I try to have the kitchen ready early so the house smells like pesach a few days in advance. I consider the smell of shabbos/y't food to fit in the spiritual category. if you want to be really spiritual, invest in a variety of spices for pesach Smile

Holy Sparks

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 12:20 am
Wow! What extraordinary tips. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedules to share them, everyone. I love them ALL!
Quote:

This is not lame - this is truly magnificent!
Lazer Brody demonstrates how important this is here: Dread or Dreams

Holy Sparks

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 12:23 am
Here's a tip from Rabbi Reuven Wolf

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 3:37 am
That poster is beautiful! Did you make it?

baba

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 4:03 am
While cleaning/cooking I listen to shiurim, usually yutorah.org

I read the essays written in the back of Rabbi Sacks' haggada, they're amazing.

And I try to prepare things to make the evening more special for the kids. This year I've been reading the new Bne Akiva hagada for that. They have a booklet filled with activities for young and old
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics