Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do u make for the family to eat erev pesach?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Inspired

Post Tue, Mar 26 2013, 1:22 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
IIRC Halacha is that we may not eat matza, and our minhag is to not have any of the ingredients of charoses (nuts, apples) or maror. Eggs and potatoes are fine.

I made chicken, vegetable kugels and potato kugel.

Yes, matza is in the SA, the rest is minhag.

grace413

Post Tue, Mar 26 2013, 1:32 pm
I grew up with the minhag not to eat anything that would be eaten at the Seder on Erev Chag. It has fallen by the wayside.

My DD was complaining she was hungry 10 minutes after she finished her chometz breakfast.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 26 2013, 1:58 pm
I bought a crock pot for Pesach this year, and it has made me feel brilliant. After cooking the brisket in it on Sunday and refrigerating it in the crock when it was done, I took the brisket out on Monday morning. I sliced it and poured some of the juice into the pan with the meat. I then put stew meat in the same crock along with whatever juice was left from the brisket, added carrots, potatoes and sweet potatoes , and turned the crock pot on again. All this was done before 8 am and we had a piping hot delicious meal with soup by 1 pm or so. We had non gebroks cake for dessert. No one complained about being hungry BH, the way it was growing up. My mother worked hard to get a real meal on the table erev Pesach: borsht, salad, potatoes, cottage cheese but we were never full. I think that meat fills you up (at least here it does) with a lot less work than what my mother did, and that crock-pot is just amazing.
I learned that people serve meat erev Pesach right here on Imamother, so thanks! We were always told it's a mitzva to be hungry for the Seder, but I think my parents didn't realize that it's not such a mitzva for kids to be hungry. We sure didn't appreciate it. I, for one, don't appreciate whining complaining hungry people around me for a whole day before the seder.

grace413

Post Tue, Mar 26 2013, 2:36 pm
Tamiri, thanks. You reminded me that we used to eat borsht and sour cream on erev Pesach.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 26 2013, 2:46 pm
grace413 wrote:
Tamiri, thanks. You reminded me that we used to eat borsht and sour cream on erev Pesach.
Which part of Galicia did you say you were from? Or, is that the Litvak side? LOL

Isramom8

Post Tue, Mar 26 2013, 3:14 pm
I used to make a snack-meal platter of hardboiled eggs, tuna, cheese and cut-up vegetables. Then due to specific circumstances, we went away to a hotel for several years. After that, I realized that the family was too large and too old to subside all day on that. So I started making meatballs, roasted potatoes and salad.

It makes such a difference in everyone's mood to come to the seder having eaten a proper lunch. I know you're supposed to have appetite for the matzah, but being "too" hungry would just mess us up. People are so thankful about this lunch. The funny thing is that compared with the Erev Pesach lunch served at hotels, it's quite moderate.

And it's nice because we all get in the relaxed Yom Tov family togetherness mood.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 26 2013, 3:25 pm
It's HALACHA not to eat too much before the seder. Discuss!

Isramom8

Post Tue, Mar 26 2013, 3:44 pm
Lunch is hours before Shulchan Orech.
And you have to have appetite for the matzah, not starve.

chani8

Post Tue, Mar 26 2013, 10:21 pm
Tamiri wrote:
It's HALACHA not to eat too much before the seder. Discuss!

You can eat a kzayis or even a kbaitzah . . .

You can even make scrambled baitzahs with chopped kzayos.

Wink

willow

Post Wed, Mar 27 2013, 9:35 am
Tamiri what is your crockpot Briscuit recipe?

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 27 2013, 10:32 am
We have some light dairy nosh. And I make everyone eat outside.

Or we have a hearty salad with beans or chickpeas.

Or we go out to a KFP place for a light snack/meal(KFP pizza/salad type stuff) with friends. Most KFP dairy cafes here serve kitniyot, but the kitniyot-eaters and kitniyot-avoiders all eat together because it's not Pesach yet.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Mar 27 2013, 12:10 pm
"The minhag to not eat kitnios begins on Erev Pesach at the same time that one may not eat chametz (Shevet HaLevi III:31 citing Chok Yaakov 471:2 and others)."

This is from an American O-U web page:
http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/Kitniyot/

Tamiri

Post Wed, Mar 27 2013, 1:19 pm
willow wrote:
Tamiri what is your crockpot Briscuit recipe?
No recipe. I made it the same as I do in the oven: onions, fresh garlic, a bay leaf or two, salt and paprika. Water nearly to cover. Cook till done. I actually overdid it a bit in the crock pot, so next time I'll check it earlier. You can make any recipe that you are used to making, I guess. I never get fancy with brisket.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 27 2013, 7:29 pm
Tamiri wrote:
I bought a crock pot for Pesach this year, and it has made me feel brilliant. After cooking the brisket in it on Sunday and refrigerating it in the crock when it was done, I took the brisket out on Monday morning. I sliced it and poured some of the juice into the pan with the meat. I then put stew meat in the same crock along with whatever juice was left from the brisket, added carrots, potatoes and sweet potatoes , and turned the crock pot on again. All this was done before 8 am and we had a piping hot delicious meal with soup by 1 pm or so. We had non gebroks cake for dessert. No one complained about being hungry BH, the way it was growing up. My mother worked hard to get a real meal on the table erev Pesach: borsht, salad, potatoes, cottage cheese but we were never full. I think that meat fills you up (at least here it does) with a lot less work than what my mother did, and that crock-pot is just amazing.
I learned that people serve meat erev Pesach right here on Imamother, so thanks! We were always told it's a mitzva to be hungry for the Seder, but I think my parents didn't realize that it's not such a mitzva for kids to be hungry. We sure didn't appreciate it. I, for one, don't appreciate whining complaining hungry people around me for a whole day before the seder.
Thumbs Up
Crockpot lover here.
And meat stew has practically become a tradition as Erev Pesach lunch in our home.

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 27 2013, 8:52 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
"The minhag to not eat kitnios begins on Erev Pesach at the same time that one may not eat chametz (Shevet HaLevi III:31 citing Chok Yaakov 471:2 and others)."

This is from an American O-U web page:
http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/Kitniyot/

Oh well, I guess some of my friends don't keep that minhag. (I eat kitniyot on Pesach anyway).
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics