Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Advice on healthy cooking in general

hello123

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:28 am
I feel like after pesach is the perfect time to start because we all feel so fat and theres very little food on the house.
please tell me all your advice:
I want to start cooking/eating healthy but heres the thing my DH loves to snack a lot so I need a lot of good healthy snacks that he'll actually eat.
I also need some good dinner ideas that are easy because I work so I dont have a ton of time to make complicated food.

granolamom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:38 am
we try to start every dinner with a soup or salad. soups freeze well so that's easy. salads are easy if you prep the veggies/lettuce/dressings in advance.
as far as snacks, my dh likes to snack on roasted nuts (especially if I season them first), pomegranate seeds or sliced oranges. but it has to be ready and waiting for him in the fridge or he'll find something else (much less healthful). I keep containers of cut fruit and vegetables in the fridge at all times. I dont do it for 'meal planning' so much as 'stocking the kitchen'. after I clean up from breakfast, I cut it all up. sometimes I'll do it before I go to bed.

pretty much anything you cook in your kitchen will be healthier than the alternative from take-out or the grocery freezer section. so just get to cooking! I dont sweat the oil or sugar I add to my food, because food should taste good. if its homemade and wholesome, I'm happy. but we're mostly vegetarian so most of our foods are pretty low fat to begin with (I do use low fat cheeses when I cook with cheese).

thanks

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:54 am
Stay away from margarine and shortening. There is no place for them. Also avoid sweet drinks like soda and juice. Drink lot and lots of water. Use whole grains like brown rice and whole wheat. (The Landau whole wheat lukshen is great and most people don't even notice that it's whole wheat.) Add quinoa to any soup. It will give you protein, and add some substance. Don't cut your lettuce with a metal knife, you'll destroy the vitamins. Use lots of garlic - crushed.

These are just healthy tips off the top of my head.

chani8

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 8:34 am
Limit starches, eat low carb, no sugar or sweeteners, very little processed foods.

A healthy day:

Coffee with cream (not milk)
1 - 2 pieces of real sliced cheese (before 8am)
2 eggs and cottage cheese, or omelet
1 - 2 (sugar free) yogurts for snack
Ice coffee with whole organic milk for 3 pm snack
20 Almonds

Dinner:
Hearty soups (chicken, meatball, plus veggies)
or
Salad and boiled Chicken or other meat plus veggies
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking