Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tips and tricks to make it easier that DON'T cost money?
Previous  1  2

Liebs

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 5:55 am
So many good ideas!
I agree with the simple supper idea the most.
I finally let myself give cereal and milk/sandwiches for a supper when I need a break. It's not that much less healthy than the packged frozen stuff with all its chemicals.
A friend once said to me, what's better that we eat junk and feel weak tired and unhealhty or that our kids eat a little less healthy for the weeks we can't manage?
It really taught me that I come first and if I take care of myself and like now post pesach for ex. I need to take it easy, so the kids ate grilled cheese and tuna and today for first time I made chicken for lunch.
We can make things simpler (my kids are still little so I can get away with it. they probably prefer cheerios over chicken!)
If you have time you can google for ideas. There is flylady.com I think it is about organizing. And I forgot the website of this family that has no money and has ideas how to be cheap. I'm sure there is a lot out there for ideas.
GOod luck! let me know when you find the answer, I'm in the same boat but have NO idea how to train my (sorta spoiled) kids.

tzfatisha

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 12:48 pm
don't buy cereal ... buy oats.. make your own granola.. oatmeal.. muesli...
rice and beans make more proteins..
if you go vegetarian during the week and buy beans peas lentils and wholegrains. u can make loads of healthy meals. many peoples eat more or less the same main dish every day.. eg lentils and rice.. etc..
grow your own veggies/salads veggis as much as possible..and just pick what u need.. the salads taste amazing and there's basically no waste with things like 'cut and come again' varieties.. u can grow a lot of stuff in tubs and baskets.. even if u don't have a big garden..
share magazines and newspapers with a friend...
comparison shop as much as possible..
don't buy disposables.. u'll save more money in the long run to buy a dishwasher (two).. and buy that in the sales.../even if u buy it thru a catalogue or on the credit card.. it will pay for itself over disposables...not to mentionit's more eco... or get yr kids to wash up!
when they have 3 for 2 deals ... buy them only if u use the products and stick the other one/two in the store cupboard or freezer
make a list before u go shopping and stick to it...
do creative stuff with the kids... like making a rag rug .....or planting a garden...
menu planning helps too.. so shabbat's chicken becomes sunday's soup and stir fry
one thing I do.. is I cook all veggies, rice etc parve.. so that leftovers can be used with any meal...etc

StrongIma

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 1:07 pm
Liebs wrote:
So many good ideas!
I agree with the simple supper idea the most.
I finally let myself give cereal and milk/sandwiches for a supper when I need a break. It's not that much less healthy than the packged frozen stuff with all its chemicals.
A friend once said to me, what's better that we eat junk and feel weak tired and unhealhty or that our kids eat a little less healthy for the weeks we can't manage?
It really taught me that I come first and if I take care of myself and like now post pesach for ex. I need to take it easy, so the kids ate grilled cheese and tuna and today for first time I made chicken for lunch.
We can make things simpler (my kids are still little so I can get away with it. they probably prefer cheerios over chicken!)
good for you!! I’ve become convinced that it's healthier for the kids to eat cheerios in a happy calm atmosphere than a full course dinner served by a tense, harried mom. Hug Hug

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 2:19 pm
A lot of these answers are about how to save...not how to save time, while not spending more money, which is the OP's question.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics