Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Asking someone to save a table

amother

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 10:31 pm
I was in a crowded pizza shop tonight, and a woman was there with 2 very young kids. young enough that she wouldn't leave them alone. there was only one empty table in the entire store, and there were tons more people on line for their orders. This woman ordered, then went to the only empty table and told me, who was sitting by the table right next to it, that she's going to the bathroom, taking her kids, so can I please save the table for her.

I told her I would try, but to tell the truth it made me quite uncomfortable to tell people who came to take it (and there were at least 4 people who tried before she came out) that im saving it for someone who went to use the restroom. then when she came out she nodded a quick thanks to me and that's it. I didn't need anything more, but I would've maybe felt a little better if she would've said something like sorry for the trouble, you had to keep an eye on the table the entire time (and it wasn't only 2 minutes)

I just wanted to know, am I right for being a drop annoyed that she made me sound like a 3- year-old that im saving the table for my friend (I have no idea who she is btw), or is it that im just very shy and this is totally accepted?

harriet

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 10:34 pm
It seems a bit weird to me (to ask someone you don't know to save you a table. . . )

rachelbg

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 10:53 pm
I think it was a fine thing to ask, and I also think it would have been fine if you said you weren't comfortable doing it for her.

ima m

Post Fri, Apr 12 2013, 3:13 am
you did a big mitzvah helping someone out, it is very difficult to go out with young kids by yourself, just the other day a woman I dont know was putting on a sling and wanted my husband to hold her baby while she adjusted it, we are all family, am yisroel chai and little things like this should not be made into a big deal, thats what makes us so speicial

invisiblecircus

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 6:56 am
rachelbg wrote:
I think it was a fine thing to ask, and I also think it would have been fine if you said you weren't comfortable doing it for her.

I agree.

Personally I would feel uncomfortable either asking or being asked.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette