Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Homeless

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 8:38 am
What would you do if you found yourself homeless tomorrow?

Fabulous

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 8:38 am
we should never be in that situation but move in with family.

chani8

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 8:54 am
Cry.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 9:22 am
Start calling friends and family.
chani8 wrote:
Cry.
Yah, and that too.

chani8

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 9:30 am
OP, I hope this was theoretical. Is everything ok?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 10:10 am
It's not often that people wake up one day to find themselves homeless. There are usually a series of things that has to happen before someone is homeless (both the eviction and foreclosure processes are lengthy, in that neither happen from 1x nonpayment) I would hope that anyone who truly sees themselves at risk for either of these would put a backup plan in place.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 10:14 am
superdanni wrote:
It's not often that people wake up one day to find themselves homeless. There are usually a series of things that has to happen before someone is homeless (both the eviction and foreclosure processes are lengthy, in that neither happen from 1x nonpayment) I would hope that anyone who truly sees themselves at risk for either of these would put a backup plan in place.

I disagree with that statement mostly because we recently had a hurricane in new york and many, many people lost their homes and found themselves homeless at that time. there are also other things that can cause homelessness ie fire, a roof caving in etc. so its not always expected since we never know what the future will bring.

nyer1

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 11:30 am
amother wrote:
superdanni wrote:

I disagree with that statement mostly because we recently had a hurricane in new york and many, many people lost their homes and found themselves homeless at that time. there are also other things that can cause homelessness ie fire, a roof caving in etc. so its not always expected since we never know what the future will bring.

this is true, but the OP posted in the finances section.. so I think we can safely assume we are talking about not being able to pay rent etc

pesek zman

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 12:29 pm
nyer1 wrote:
amother wrote:
superdanni wrote:

this is true, but the OP posted in the finances section.. so I think we can safely assume we are talking about not being able to pay rent etc

Yes, that was what I was thinking when I responded as I did. As a fellow New Yorker I apologize if my hurricane oversight was offensive

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 12:29 pm
superdanni wrote:
It's not often that people wake up one day to find themselves homeless.

While it's a process, doesn't mean you could prevent it from actually happening. So on the contrary you do go homeless the day you wake up and no longer have a roof over your head and no finances to do anything about it.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 1:13 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:

To do what?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
Rubber Ducky wrote:

To do what?

to stay with them..? what else?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 2:09 pm
I think most people in that situation would first go to family and stay there until they get back on their feet. then to good friends (if possible)
for people without family or friends to take them in, they would probably call an organization to try and get help/tzadaka or be put up until they can get proper help.

by the hurricane, most people who were not affected, ended up housing those who didn't have homes, some for several weeks and months - some still are staying by families, but until they could find where to go/ get proper help etc...

friendsrus

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 8:52 pm
first try to find a place temporarily, like family. call organization for help. you can also apply for section 8 as homeless. those application are looked at as top priority
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics