Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need help with how to go about manufacturing my product

amother

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 11:58 am
I came up with a briliant idea/invention that I want to produce and market. It is a very simple not expensive kind of thing. I have never done anything like this before but really think this will make a great product. How do I go about manufacturing it? does anyone have any information/recommendations of manufacturers that they would recommend? Thanks.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 12:00 pm
First you will need to get a patent search done to check nothing like it exists. You will want to go about patenting your idea if it ends up being unique.

You might want to contact a product design company to lead you through the process.

[I work in the field of product design and patents]

tzfatisha

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 4:43 pm
also look into 3d printers.. they are useful ways to either make prototypes or to make small /individual runs of objects..even a bicycle has been made with a 3dprinter..
http://video.ft.com/v/17008351.....boola
praps there is a small business bureau near u that can help with practical aspects of setting up a business...
also u can try 'crowdfunding' through http://www.indiegogo.com/ or kickstarter

amother

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 5:05 pm
There's a lot that needs to be done before manufacturing. Patent research, if there is no product like it get your own patent, patent it in other countries if you'll want to sell it overseas--talk to a patent lawyer; make prototypes/models to see if you'll want to make any changes to the finished product; think about how you'll want to advertise and sell it (possibly can be done after it's manufactured but it's a step to be thought of); possibly conduct some sort of market research/test to see if ppl will actually want to buy your product; think about fulfillment--where you'll store the products until they are shipped and how will you ship them out (there are fulfillment companies). You might also want to think about packaging/package design and where you'll get that made; product liability insurance in case a consumer gets injured from your product

I used to work for a company that produces and sells new products. Their website is cheseddirect.com. If you decide to work with them, basically they'll own the patent and product in the end and pay you a royalty based on percentage of sales. It can't hurt you to contact them and see what they have to say.

Good luck!

EstyGold

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 1:55 pm
You can give a try on www.quirky.com

They develop people's inventions and if the product is sold, they take a small percentage of it.

Manufacturing a new product requires a lot of work (patent, engineers, tests and more tests, marketing research, sales representatives etc.) and that's why so many people are trying quirky.com

Read all info available on the site and even rate other people's inventions. It's fun.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics